Hot Tub Blanket

Rika

Now that it is cold here in Oklahoma I have noticed that small amounts of steam escape from the seam where my cover folds in half. It is more noticable when it freezes into an icicle.

I am thinking about getting a bubble type spa blanket to add insulation to the top of my water.

I can see two options.

One is to follow the instructions and cut the blanket to fit the shape of my tub at the water line and let the blanket float on top of the water. This will obviously help insulate but I can still imagine heated moist air escaping and still forming icicles.

Option two is to lay the blanket on top of the tub and sandwich it between the cover and the tub top.

This would not allow it to float very much but looks like it would form a better seal with my cover thus eliminating the moisture and heat loss.

Who uses these and how do you use them in your tub? If you use them in one of these two ways what do you do with it when you are in the tub? It get's windy here and it seems that it would blow away and be a hassle. Do they make a noticeable difference in energy use? Do these things grow bacteria or create other maintenance issues?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I considered these blankets (bubble, and others) that float on the surface of the water. I'm concerned, though, that my filtering system which uses a skimmer feature may not be as effective with a blanket on the water. I'm not concerned about damage to the spa, just the effectiveness of the filtration system.

Alternatively, has anyone considered an "external blanket", one that could be fitted to cover the top and sides of your existing cover & spa?

I would think this would offer several benefits: no seams where the existing cover seams are, additional insulation value, and additional protection to the existing covers.

Rika, look at the bubble blanket from the edge. There's spaces between each bubble. If you sandwich the blanket between the spa and the cover, each space between the bubbles will allow for leaking. This wouldn't happen with one of the foam blankets though.

• 1 month later...

Rika, look at the bubble blanket from the edge. There's spaces between each bubble. If you sandwich the blanket between the spa and the cover, each space between the bubbles will allow for leaking. This wouldn't happen with one of the foam blankets though.

12 gauge is the best quality blanket you can get.

I actually bought a blanket to experiment with.

It doesn't have round bubbles. It has diamond shaped bubbles which are connected to each other.

It does seem to seal it fairly well when placed between the cover and the top of the tub.

I think I like this way better than floating on the water because it seems that it would not interfere as much with the skimmer action on my filter housing.

If the blanket floats directly on the water it would slow things from floating on the top from making their way to the filter.

It is a little over sized for my 8x 8 tub so I may trim it down some so it fits under the cover better.

One problem with either way is what to do with it when you are in the tub.

I tried just folding it back over the cover which stands up on the lifter. On a windy night though it wanted to flip back over onto the tub or even worse fly away.

I don't want to have to chase it accross my back yard or even worse the neighbors.

We sometimes go without suits when the kids are asleep so this would be very inconvenient to chase....

I suppose I could fold it up and wedge it in between tub and the house but this would be very cold to mess with after getting out.