Synthetic Wood Cabinet

ynot

I have a new Jacuzzi J-365. Jacuzzi actually had to replace my earlier J-360 model, for many reasons, one being the synthetic wood cabinet did not hold up well to sun exposure as promised. You could tell the cabinet was starting to warp slightly, if youl looked at the right angle. I do live in the hot CA desert. Just curious if anyone knows of a product that will truly protect the synthetic wood from sun damage. I bought synthetic thinking it meant no maintenance. I've heard of a product called Formula 303 that gives some protection. I'm thinking of building a "fence" out of metal or glass around the perimeter to keep the sun off the cabinet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a new Jacuzzi J-365. Jacuzzi actually had to replace my earlier J-360 model, for many reasons, one being the synthetic wood cabinet did not hold up well to sun exposure as promised. You could tell the cabinet was starting to warp slightly, if youl looked at the right angle. I do live in the hot CA desert. Just curious if anyone knows of a product that will truly protect the synthetic wood from sun damage. I bought synthetic thinking it meant no maintenance. I've heard of a product called Formula 303 that gives some protection. I'm thinking of building a "fence" out of metal or glass around the perimeter to keep the sun off the cabinet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bushes planted and trimmed at just the right height around 3 sides of your tub, not only block the sun but look cool. 303 is a silicon based protectent, like Amorall which is oil based. The difference being silicon based will not addict your plastic like oil based will. In other words oil based protectents work well but you need to continue using them forever because if you stop the cabinet will look even worse, very quickly.

An advantage to a wood cabinet is the ability to allow it to fade and then restain to original or better and different color. Yes some sort of protectant is required every year for the natural color to remain, but I find that very easy.

What other problems have you had with your Jacuzzi? How old is your tub?

I had a number of problems with my Jacuzzi J-360, which was purchased in 2003. They were almost all problems that should have been caught at the factory. First, the framing for the cabinet protruded beyond the lip of the shell, which made he synthetic siding look warped. Then the siding actually did start warping, really bad, even though it was synthetic. The diverters were filled with excessive glue overrun, and actually caused one to break almost immediately. The motor was installed against the framing, which caused an incredibly loud vibration. To stop this, I had to push a rock between the two to stop the noise. A stain developed in the acrylic shell almost immediately, like something was bleeding out of the shell. The air control buttons all would stick when depressed. All the headrest cushions would come off even when not in use. A number of the jets broke. There were several other things, but you get the idea. Keep in mind that this spa was used very, very little. probably 2 or 3 times a month. I bought the Jacuzzi because of the name, thinking it was top notch in quality. Some of my neighbors changed there mind after seeing my spa, and went with offbrands, all of which have held up much better. I immediately started complaining, not only to the dealer, but also to the corporation. For almost 2 years they wouldn't even send anyone to just look at the tub. Finally, after sending actualy photos of all the problems, they agreed to take the tub back and take it apart and rebuild it. However, once they got it back and saw firsthand the quality of construction, they agreed to replace it for free, with the model J-365. Now, I've had the new spa for about 2 weeks, and already, you look down the side of the synthetic cabinet, and sure enough it isn't flush. If you look at their other brand, Sundance, as well as other brands, the synthetic siding looks much better. Long story short, based on my experience with Jacuzzi, I would never purchase another, or recommend them. I'm not trying to desuade anyone, but expressing my personal dealings with them and their spas.

• 1 month later...

I had a number of problems with my Jacuzzi J-360, which was purchased in 2003. They were almost all problems that should have been caught at the factory. First, the framing for the cabinet protruded beyond the lip of the shell, which made he synthetic siding look warped. Then the siding actually did start warping, really bad, even though it was synthetic. The diverters were filled with excessive glue overrun, and actually caused one to break almost immediately. The motor was installed against the framing, which caused an incredibly loud vibration. To stop this, I had to push a rock between the two to stop the noise. A stain developed in the acrylic shell almost immediately, like something was bleeding out of the shell. The air control buttons all would stick when depressed. All the headrest cushions would come off even when not in use. A number of the jets broke. There were several other things, but you get the idea. Keep in mind that this spa was used very, very little. probably 2 or 3 times a month. I bought the Jacuzzi because of the name, thinking it was top notch in quality. Some of my neighbors changed there mind after seeing my spa, and went with offbrands, all of which have held up much better. I immediately started complaining, not only to the dealer, but also to the corporation. For almost 2 years they wouldn't even send anyone to just look at the tub. Finally, after sending actualy photos of all the problems, they agreed to take the tub back and take it apart and rebuild it. However, once they got it back and saw firsthand the quality of construction, they agreed to replace it for free, with the model J-365. Now, I've had the new spa for about 2 weeks, and already, you look down the side of the synthetic cabinet, and sure enough it isn't flush. If you look at their other brand, Sundance, as well as other brands, the synthetic siding looks much better. Long story short, based on my experience with Jacuzzi, I would never purchase another, or recommend them. I'm not trying to desuade anyone, but expressing my personal dealings with them and their spas.

I am sorry you went through that suffering. I am glad you told me this because it just confirms a story one of my customers told me the other day. I think the wood becomes warped or is just defective on the construction. I wish you the best of luck.

I have had my replacement Jacuzzi for about 2 months now. The synthetic wood cabinet is already doing the same thing, buckling/warping/rippling - whatever term you prefer. It took Jacuzzi almost 2 years to replace/repair the first one, so I'm sure it will be the same this time. As far as cabinets go, I am not impressed with their build quality at all. And to think it was the Jacuzzi name that sold me in the first place.

Thanks for the information ynot. I've been looking at spas for quite some time and Jacuzzi was at the top of my list, mostly since I like their seating arrangements and footboxes, and they are sold by a reputable dealer that is close to my home. I'll definitely be taking a closer look at the cabinets the next time I go in.

Thanks for the information ynot. I've been looking at spas for quite some time and Jacuzzi was at the top of my list, mostly since I like their seating arrangements and footboxes, and they are sold by a reputable dealer that is close to my home. I'll definitely be taking a closer look at the cabinets the next time I go in.

When someone thinks of hot water tubs JACUZZI is the 1st thing that comes to mind. Like Zerox to photocopy machine.

I am sorry you have had this experience. Jacuzzi does make a good tub. every manufactured product has the potential for problems. It sounds like your dealer did not go to bat for you. unfortunately any synthetic siding has the potential to fade in direct sunlight over time. the warping is not right. you need to tell your dealer right away and ask for the panels to be replaced, It's doubtful that Jacuzzi will replace the entire tub for the siding having problems because all of the siding can be replaced. It definitely should not have taken 2 years to get the tub replaced. again this goes back to your dealer. Jacuzzi rely's on their dealers to be their eye's and ears to resolve Problems just like any manufacturer that doesn't sell direct to the end user. the fact you could not get any one to even come out and investigate your complaint's is a shame. I certainly understand your frustration.

Sorry you've had a difficult time so far with your spa and company. I hope things go better for you in the future dealings.

I believe there are different qualities of sythetic siding like anything else. Some have a larger percentage of wood mixed into them to allow for more flexible movement with temperature changes as the seasons change in your area. Some are just plastic. Some are built with UV inhibitors to protect against sun-damage.

Plastic alone wouldn't have as much "bend" in a colder climate as a composite of wood and plastic would.

Hmmm, how much wood would a woodchuck... just kidding!

Nothing can really match the beauty of natural wood in my opinion and it's not very hard to take care of it. But I prefer very low maintenance. I know I would never go out and "stain my spa skirt" so my choice is the synthetic/composite siding. Just make sure in your future endeavors, to find out if it is only plastic or if it has a good mixture of wood like a composite and if it has the UV inhibitors to limit the sun damage.

These things are rarely discussed when looking for a spa. So many people will just asy "it's maintenance free" and leave it at that.

Sorry you've had a difficult time so far with your spa and company. I hope things go better for you in the future dealings.

I believe there are different qualities of sythetic siding like anything else. Some have a larger percentage of wood mixed into them to allow for more flexible movement with temperature changes as the seasons change in your area. Some are just plastic. Some are built with UV inhibitors to protect against sun-damage.

Plastic alone wouldn't have as much "bend" in a colder climate as a composite of wood and plastic would.

Hmmm, how much wood would a woodchuck... just kidding!

Nothing can really match the beauty of natural wood in my opinion and it's not very hard to take care of it. But I prefer very low maintenance. I know I would never go out and "stain my spa skirt" so my choice is the synthetic/composite siding. Just make sure in your future endeavors, to find out if it is only plastic or if it has a good mixture of wood like a composite and if it has the UV inhibitors to limit the sun damage.

These things are rarely discussed when looking for a spa. So many people will just asy "it's maintenance free" and leave it at that.

Good point Amanda. I dont usually like to get into all that jargon with the customer so I just leave it short and sweet. Once in a while if they ask a question about the siding I'll throw the UV protectant talk with them.

Good point Amanda. I dont usually like to get into all that jargon with the customer so I just leave it short and sweet. Once in a while if they ask a question about the siding I'll throw the UV protectant talk with them.

Thanks. I guess that's another good reason for folks to visit a nice forum like this one. There is so much information to go over and sometimes it's difficult to hit every point in the showroom.

Thanks. I guess that's another good reason for folks to visit a nice forum like this one. There is so much information to go over and sometimes it's difficult to hit every point in the showroom.

I appreciate all the feedback. Again, because of the Jacuzzi Premium reputation/name, I would have assumed that their synthetic wood feedback would have been of average quality or better. The first one didn't hold up anytime at all, and the second one has now been installed almost 3 months, and you can look down the side and see the rippling. Personally, I think the problem is with the backside support/framing, as there is no horizontal framing at all. I think that would solve some of the problem. I'm not hear to trash Jacuzzi or any company, just telling my experiences. I have filed a complaint with the CA Atty General's office as well, as I don't want the hassle of a 2 year ordeal to get Jacuzzi/Sundance to respond appropriately. In my humble opinion, it is a design/material defect.

I appreciate all the feedback. Again, because of the Jacuzzi Premium reputation/name, I would have assumed that their synthetic wood feedback would have been of average quality or better. The first one didn't hold up anytime at all, and the second one has now been installed almost 3 months, and you can look down the side and see the rippling. Personally, I think the problem is with the backside support/framing, as there is no horizontal framing at all. I think that would solve some of the problem. I'm not hear to trash Jacuzzi or any company, just telling my experiences. I have filed a complaint with the CA Atty General's office as well, as I don't want the hassle of a 2 year ordeal to get Jacuzzi/Sundance to respond appropriately. In my humble opinion, it is a design/material defect.

I had a customer with the same problem so appartently you are not the only one with a tub replaced and taking all the time to come to the decision