A Note On Bromine And Total Alkalinity

Canadian Kahuna

I've noticed that those of us who use bromine seem to have a problem with the Total Alkalinity level dropping. Adding Alkalinity increaser alone does not help, as this is mostly used to raise the pH. I've taken some advice from others on this board after asking questions and used baking soda to raise my TA. This has worked very well and i find my TA is more stable, which keeps my pH from bouncing around. Hopefully this will help others as well using bromine instead of chlorine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that those of us who use bromine seem to have a problem with the Total Alkalinity level dropping. Adding Alkalinity increaser alone does not help, as this is mostly used to raise the pH. I've taken some advice from others on this board after asking questions and used baking soda to raise my TA. This has worked very well and i find my TA is more stable, which keeps my pH from bouncing around. Hopefully this will help others as well using bromine instead of chlorine.

I'm having the same problem, how much baking soda are you adding at a time, and how much does it raise your TA

chris

I'm having the same problem, how much baking soda are you adding at a time, and how much does it raise your TA

chris

I'm not sure about the volume of my tub (i think it's 350 gallons, should know this but forgot), but typically, 1 tablespoon raises my TA about 20ppm.

I'm not sure about the volume of my tub (i think it's 350 gallons, should know this but forgot), but typically, 1 tablespoon raises my TA about 20ppm.

I tried it last night and my PH and akalinity seem to be doing okay.. Let's hope this trend continues

Just to confirm, my tub is 350 US gallons, but 1tblsp raises TA about 10ppm. I think i mentioned before that the baking soda seems to hold the TA where it should be a little longer than the alkalinity increasers sold by most dealers. It's been a much easier solution for me, instead of adding perfect balance (the product i use for alk. increaser) a few times a week, i only have to add baking soda once per week. Hope it works for you as well. Oh, not sure of the pH of the bromine tablets i use in my floater, but the brand is "Spa Boss".

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm, my tub is 350 US gallons, but 1tblsp raises TA about 10ppm. I think i mentioned before that the baking soda seems to hold the TA where it should be a little longer than the alkalinity increasers sold by most dealers. It's been a much easier solution for me, instead of adding perfect balance (the product i use for alk. increaser) a few times a week, i only have to add baking soda once per week. Hope it works for you as well. Oh, not sure of the pH of the bromine tablets i use in my floater, but the brand is "Spa Boss".

bromide has a low PH. Soda Ash is PH increase and Baking soda is your TA. You need to constantly add TA when you use bromide. TA or Bakingsoda is a buffer for your PH. As your TA starts coming down your PH becomes more volitile