Cracked manifold nut 1988 CALSPA

Cusser

OK, maybe I have of the oldest spas here, a 1988 CalSpa.  I replaced a leaking/burned out heating element a week ago, so checked to ensure that the leak was truly stopped.  It was.

But I noticed a tiny leak at the seam of the pump, maybe caused by the drop in water temperature.  So I tightened up the bolts I could reach with screwdriver or 5/16" box wrench, being careful not to crack anything; this went well.

CalSpaloosebolts.thumb.JPG.fb311576c5c960fdf11c07d021681249.JPG

Then I noticed that the large nut securing the manifold to the top of the Hayward pump was cracked in a few places, but was not leaking from there.  Apparently this stainless steel manifold is no longer available, but I did order a 2" split nut to replace that WHEN/IF it starts leaking there.

CalSpacracked2inchnut.thumb.JPG.43e2c7a6e657a5f68dc4b0c44b1a6959.JPG

CalSpasplitnutformanifold.thumb.jpg.52799487f8f17f072c10c9b0d7443262.jpg

So the question is: has anyone here had experience with these 2-piece plastic retaining nuts???  Thanks.

Online reviews of them are good, provided one orders the correct size. As you can see from the photo, the CalSpa manifold was especially made with a large flat to mate up with the Hayward pump.

CalSpacracked2inchnut.thumb.JPG.43e2c7a6e657a5f68dc4b0c44b1a6959.JPG

21 hours ago, Cusser said:

has anyone here had experience with these 2-piece plastic retaining nuts???

Yes they work well and are used on most systems

12 hours ago, Cusser said:

could that tiny leak have been the leak I've had for several years,

Could very well be.

Could it be a worn O-Ring on the face plate?

3 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Could it be a worn O-Ring on the face plate?

Hayward pump #1152UN2 1 hp. 

Doesn't look like a leak at the flat rubber washer under the cracked plastic nut.  Looks more like a seam leak at the pump housing, so I gently tightened most of the bolts/nuts there, will re-check there next week.  About 25 or 30 years ago I had a leaking pump shaft seal, but can't remember if I fixed that myself or just carried my pump in to the repair shop.  Yes, it's tough to access the pump, but I did do that once....

On 5/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, Cusser said:

CalSpasplitnutformanifold.thumb.jpg.52799487f8f17f072c10c9b0d7443262.jpg

1.  The 2-piece split nut arrived, and is the same outside diameter as the cracked one, so good.  But I won't install that until I need to, not leaking from there.

2. It's only been a week since I tightened up the pump seam bolts/nuts, but I did not have any apparent leakage - but it's only been one week.  I only visit that site once per week in summer.

• Like 1

So it's been 2 weeks since I noticed the cracked coupler nut, but no leaks noticed there or elsewhere, so the split coupler nut has not been replaced.

I did notice that the water temperature has dropped even though I swapped in an element two weeks ago to replace a shorted element.  Fortunately, my old spa takes a hardware store element, inexpensive, 4500W or 5500W.

https://images.thdstatic.com/productImages/fbc401cc-40c9-4eb4-a125-d2c09ca8bbe8/svn/rheem-protech-water-heater-elements-sp10874fh-64_1000.jpg

Anyway, it looks like my timer mechanism is malfunctioning, like the clock inside the timer is intermittent.  I replaced this timer back in the 1990s, the CalSpa part is ELE098000030; my replacement unit has both ELE098000030 and Intermatic B913N26)CalSpa # ELE098000030 (my replacement unit has #B913N26) So I ordered INTERMATIC INC PB913N from Amazon because I can return it readily if it doesn't fit.  My ELE098000030 in the unit has blue dial settings, this is listed as the replacement, we'll see.  Anyway, it's an easy swap in, should have before next week.  I'm sure this one will have

https://www.amazon.com/INTERMATIC-PB913N-PANEL-TIMER-24HR/dp/B001DSLJ7Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=S2WIXX8B0ZFE&keywords=PB913n&qid=1686611146&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=pb913n%2Clawngarden%2C254&sr=1-1-catcorr

Intermatic Timer Mech 125V 7Day - PB873MKZ

OK, received my new replacement timer, Intermatic PB913N as pictured above, plan to install that Monday.

It would've been nice if the timer body was labeled like "clock" or line/load, but no.  So I figured "look up on Internet", and best I could find was the same label on the back of the timer.  So I pulled out my trusty ohmmeter to test which pair of terminals opened and closed when I rotated the timer face by hand.  The two parallel terminals at top are load (240V), and the two in-line terminals are for clock motor (125V).  Guess it's cost savings not to use ink or mold that information onto the timer case.

Intermatic PB913N back label wiring.jpg

10 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

The diagram is a picture of the timer. The two terminals on the top right, notably closer to each other, are the switched circuit and the lower 2, a little farther apart and turned 90* (not shown), are the motor. 

When in doubt, test it out.🫡👍

Yep - why I tested it.  Should be installing late this afternoon when I get there.

• Like 1