How do you clean filters?

Weekly/bi-weekly use garden hose with jet nozzle. Soak in filter wash every 6 weeks. In Winter I might take to car wash and rinse them out with no soap rinse water. I put them on my trailer hitch and give them a spray. Always best to have a second set so you can soak a set in filter wash while using the other set. Soak, rinse, dry and repeat. 

• Like 1

Personally, I found that using a hose wasn't very effective as it tended to push the dirt further into the filter pleats. So, I decided to put my 3D printing and design skills to use and created various spray tools that could push water from the inside-outwards. However, I soon realized that only a high-pressure system would have enough power to effectively remove the dirt in the way it came in.

That's when I had an "ah-hah" moment and came up with the idea of using centrifugal force. I connected a filter to a power drill, allowing it to pull the dirt out the same way it entered. To bring this idea to life, I designed a massive 3D printed contraption, and later on, I created a partially large, expensive metal version with industrial 3D printing. However, I received suggestions to make a single-sided tool that could work with a wider range of filters available in the market. So, I went back to the drawing board until I came up with another idea to compress a plug and use the friction to grip a filter from a single side.

Although I'm still in the process of building the website and looking for wholesale partners, I am currently selling these filter spinner widgets on eBay. If you're interested in helping me beta-test them, feel free to send me a private message, as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share direct links here.

I must note that these tools are still in the early testing phases, but they seem to work great for smaller sized filters, such as Hotspring's Tri-X filters. Additionally, they work even better when you use a filter cleaning solution to turbocharge the cleaning process. To give you an idea of what my widget does, I've created a low-resolution promotional GIF, which you can check out

CoheriTECH Spa Filter Spinner compressed.gif

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 5:05 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Weekly/bi-weekly use garden hose with jet nozzle. Soak in filter wash every 6 weeks. In Winter I might take to car wash and rinse them out with no soap rinse water. I put them on my trailer hitch and give them a spray. Always best to have a second set so you can soak a set in filter wash while using the other set. Soak, rinse, dry and repeat. 

Wow - I've had my CalSpa since 1988, and I never have cleaned my spa filter more than 3 or 4 times a year.  The original design of the filter cartridge made it touch to remove the housing even after the giant plastic nut was loosened, and I'd typically have leaks even with new and lubed O-ring.  I even cut out some of the internal cover to provide additional clearance to remove the housing, see photo.  Maybe 1 dozen years ago my daughter and I installed PVC elbows to move the housing OUT of the spa cabinet so I could use an easier-to-seal filter unit, but I still would get leaks there and would need to re-seat its rubber gasket.  But it's still way easier than the original design.

CalSpa filter unit.png

CalSpa equipment4.JPG

CalSpa equipment5.JPG