Converting 220v To 110v?

FL_Kimmy

I just purchased a Used 2001 Leisure Bay 2/3 person Spa. It is a 220v. I only have a 110v outlet on my patio. Can someone tell me....is there a way to convert this Spa from 220v to 110v without much of a problem? My brother was looking at it for me last night and he thought that maybe he could switch the patio outlet to a 30w and that it might work. Currently it is only 15w capable. We only have room for a single switch in the fuse box and it seems 30w is the largest switch you can get for it as a single switch. He can hook up the 220v but that would consist of alot of work, having to bury the cord and run from one end of the house to the other...huge pain to say the least. Anyone have a suggestion on an easy way to get this Spa up and running??

Right now he has it plugged in and its heating on the 110 but you cant use the jets at the same time without blowing the breaker. (fuse..or whatever u call it) Im sooooooo not electric literate! LOL!

Please HELP! I wanna use my spa!

Thanx,

Kimmy

Bite the bullet and call an electrician to have it wired properly. You can screw around and get it jimmy-rigged, but it's your butt sitting in a lot of water if you have an electrical problem and being electrocuted to save a few bucks just doesn't make any sense to me. You will need 220 if you want to run your jets and heater at the same time, so if you own your home it will be a wise investment to upgrade your electrical system. My spa came with a 110 cord, but I had an electrician wire it up for 220 and I'm very happy I did.

I just purchased a Used 2001 Leisure Bay 2/3 person Spa. It is a 220v. I only have a 110v outlet on my patio. Can someone tell me....is there a way to convert this Spa from 220v to 110v without much of a problem? My brother was looking at it for me last night and he thought that maybe he could switch the patio outlet to a 30w and that it might work. Currently it is only 15w capable. We only have room for a single switch in the fuse box and it seems 30w is the largest switch you can get for it as a single switch. He can hook up the 220v but that would consist of alot of work, having to bury the cord and run from one end of the house to the other...huge pain to say the least. Anyone have a suggestion on an easy way to get this Spa up and running??

Right now he has it plugged in and its heating on the 110 but you cant use the jets at the same time without blowing the breaker. (fuse..or whatever u call it) Im sooooooo not electric literate! LOL!

Thanx,

Kimmy

Unless the spa is capable of 110V it can't be done. On your control panel in the equipment area it should tell you clear as day whether the tubs is 110/220 convertable. Inside the cover of the control panel should be jumper directions if it is convertable.

Thanx,

Kimmy

Well, what did you do??????

• 12 years later...

You have to have at least 10 gage wire to set up 220 wiring for hot tub or spa. You are better off wiring it right. You cannot run a 30 amp breaker on a single outlet. It will short out and cause major problem.  If you have any question you can contact me at this email. howliday51@gmail.com 

depending on your electric panel, you can convert 1 single breaker into 2 single breakers.  Do that on one of the breakers next to the open spot creating 2 spots.  That would allow you to put a 50amp 220v breaker into that newly opened area.   still need to increase your wire size.  You never said what you entire panel amperage is.  Adding 50amp draw to 100amp panel will never work.