Hot tub is cold

Susanj

When a heater in a hot tub goes out, my repair guy said it doesn’t  sputter -it dies and it trips the circuit. I got up to our hot tub  at our vacation rental last week and it was 68°.

We thought a guest may have fiddled  with it, and put it into economy  or sleep mode but once we reset the breaker it was fine .

Then this week , when guests showed up, it was cold  again, and there had been nobody there in the meantime to fiddle with it. Again , resetting the breaker helped. I’m wondering if this is an indication that our heater is going . It’s seven years old . Our manual says when it’s in one of those economy modes, the heater will still kick on if the temperature gets below 80 , yet ours had been 68°.

Well dirty filters is always the first thing the check. Slow the flow of water and hits hi limit shutting down heater to protect itself. Going deeper there could be a failing/sticking relay not going on/off as it should. If it happens again look for the heat indicator light being on but not heat. If it does happen again you will likely need to get in the pack with a multimeter and do some tests for power coming off the board.