Extension cord

hi, the answer depends on the gauge of the extension cord and the load rating of the tub (watts/amps).  There are online tables to determine if the extension cord can handle the power requirements of the tub.

EDIT: OP added pics afterwards. 

I would not buy extension cord. Just buy straight cut wire without plug ends on it.  Wire one end into the pack and the other end I would rewire into the GFCI so that the cord becomes the full length wire from pack to GFCI and plug the GFCI into a dedicated wall plug with sufficient rating breaker to hold the spas total AMP rating. I would cut/buy it to the length needed and nothing more.

FYI... 14 Gauge for 11-13 Amps. 12 Gauge for 14-15 Amps. 10 Gauge for 16-20 Amps. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

I would not buy extension cord. Just buy straight cut wire without plug ends on it.  Wire one end into the pack and the other end I would rewire into the GFCI so that the cord becomes the full length wire from pack to GFCI and plug the GFCI into a dedicated wall plug with sufficient rating breaker to hold the spas total AMP rating. I would cut/buy it to the length needed and nothing more.

FYI... 14 Gauge for 11-13 Amps. 12 Gauge for 14-15 Amps. 10 Gauge for 16-20 Amps. 

I was running a 220v but set up but when I was removing the breaker I noticed there was a hair line crack on the unit , so I searched around for the exact same breaker but couldn’t find this one. 

60A11CBD-B54E-40CC-B4DD-336C118E5903.png

It's always best to hard wire the unit and what was suggested by my northern friend is valid advice. However, I understand that it's not always possible. If this is going to be a temporary situation, buy an extension cord rated for 20A and go with it. If you are going to use this in a permanent configuration, buy the cable, put the GFCI on it and plug it into the dedicated 20A outlet.

• Like 1

Extension cord plugs are not made to handle a continuous load for extended periods of time like needed to run a hot tub. Hire an electrician and have them run power to where you need/want the tub.  

I wouldn't risk an extension cord even if you get a heavy-duty one because your insurance company will look for any reason to deny a claim on your house (It's their job to try and save the company money).  If they see something like an extension cord on a hottub, your insurance claim would most likely automatically be denied.    At a very bare minimum I would advise contacting the insurance company and try to get something in writing that says yes you're fine to run a hot tub on an extension cord or not - don't take their word for it over the phone. 

23 hours ago, ratchett said:

Extension cord plugs are not made to handle a continuous load for extended periods of time like needed to run a hot tub. Hire an electrician and have them run power to where you need/want the tub.  

I wouldn't risk an extension cord even if you get a heavy-duty one because your insurance company will look for any reason to deny a claim on your house (It's their job to try and save the company money).  If they see something like an extension cord on a hottub, your insurance claim would most likely automatically be denied.    At a very bare minimum I would advise contacting the insurance company and try to get something in writing that says yes you're fine to run a hot tub on an extension cord or not - don't take their word for it over the phone. 

I agree - I wouldn't use an extension cord.  Myself  have a 15 foot above-ground pool, and know many would run an extension cord out to it, maybe even over a lawn area.  I ran a separate 120 VAC circuit (through conduit) with its own GFCI to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 9:24 AM, corvette1985 said:

Thank you very much! 

would this breaker work with my box? Instead  of the pictures above GE breaker

3AD6B78C-DCB2-4BA6-A79C-C2E876649A76.jpeg

067AE34D-BB2D-4128-BA9A-319E1B3368E5.png

What's the make and model of your electrical panel. Usually there is a label with that info on it and also compatible breakers. Post that up.

Seimans makes several styles of panels as well as Square D, C-H, Murray, etc. Depending on the panel, the breakers from other companies may work. I can tell you that certain Seimans breakers work in the Square D Homeline panel but others will not but work in Square D QO panels. Same with Seimans panels. 

• Like 1

Can't tell if that's your main panel or your spa panel pictured.  If it's the main, you can get a Spa Panel complete with the GFCI already installed for about $110 off of Amazon, mount it outside and direct wire to the tub.  Then just get a normal $15 double pole 50A breaker from your local big box to feed it from your main panel. 

Alternatively, if that's your spa panel pictured, replace it with a new panel and save yourself $60. I caught the Siemens spa panel on sale last year for $100.  No clue why the GFCI alone is a much higher price, but it's been that way for at least a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-HOME250SPA-Homeline/dp/B000BQT1AS?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

• 3 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 3:22 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Hi I’m in need of some advice for my spa pack balboa vs500z . I recently changed my heater and went to hook it back up as a 220v and getting paper to the spa pack , tub checked with a meter. But the top control panel is not illuminating and no activity jets etc to the tub… any advice or trouble shooting is very appreciated