Can anyone figure this out?

Susanj

Frog works differently than traditional chlorine. It builds up a high CC count which it then draws from over time. Drop kits can falsely indicate readings because of this. The strips (which I know, strips suck) are a better indicator of safe chlorine levels.

That being said, I still use a drop kit with mine and only use the strips when things look out of whack, which isn't very often.

I do sometimes check it against the test strips, and in this case it agreed.

I use the Frog brand test strips. Not sure that it’s necessary, but they say that a hot tub using the Frog products does not test the same way as a hot tub using Dichlor .” Other test strips may tell you that your free chlorine level is low and your spa has a high total chlorine level which normally means it’s time to shock . This can be confusing because the Frog system uses a chlorine reserve to pull chlorine from when it needs to , over a 2-4  week period, so a high total chlorine is completely normal, and does not require a shock to be used .  
Frog test strips do not measure free chlorine. Why ? because the free chlorine remains consistently at .5 to 1.0 so there is no need to test.” ( I still do). It creates a reserve that converts to free chlorine when it senses a demand - it is self-regulating . The reserve will start high and slowly deplete over the life of the cartridge as it converts to free chlorine when needed.”