Pump turns off after 15 minutes

Doc Schmo

I just upgraded my old Beachcomber 320 from a mechanical spa pack to a new Balboa VS501Z. 

It only uses one 2speed 230V Waterways pump. No circ pump, no blower. It runs fine on both low and high speed but after 15 minutes the pump shuts off and wont come back on unless I push the pump button on the topside panel.

All dip swithches are in the off position.

I need the pump to run constantly.. Insight and thoughts on how to get this to run 24/7 ?

Normal for the spa pump to turn off after 15 mins. A spa using the main pump on low for heating and filtering would normally be set for a 2 hour filter cycle 2x per day 12 hours apart. Only spas WITH circ pumps run continuously 24/7. Running a main pump 2 speed pump 24/7 would be cost excessive. 

See here to preset filter cycles: https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/f88b8dc9/files/uploaded/Cyclone-NonWifi_bK2hVAhDSnO1e3icI2le.pdf

Thank you very much for the info. 

As mentioned I upgraded from a mechanical pak which ran the pump 24/7 (no filter cycle on those). I didnt get this doc with the new pak but I will read the doc and hopefully get my new unit figured out.

Assuming that the filter cycle is the only time the heater will run, will this be an issue in a Central Ontario winter? Or should I look at adding a circ pump to the tub?  

9 hours ago, Doc Schmo said:

Assuming that the filter cycle is the only time the heater will run

If you read the "Modes" section you have 3 options ST (standard) it will keep the spa at whatever temp you set it at and run 2 filter cycles a day. If the water temp drops 2 or 3 degrees the spa will automatically turn on the pump and heat the water back to the set temp. EC (Economy mode) It will only heat the water during the 2 hour filter cycle. The 10 hours in between filter cycles if there has been heat loss it won't turn on the heater until the next filter cycle begins. SL (sleep mode) for going on vacation. The spa will wait until the water drops temp drops down to 80 degrees and then maintain 80 degrees. It will still run filter cycles just not heat the water until it gets to 80 degrees. To determine the start time of the filter cycles turn breaker off then back on at whatever time you want it to start and run the filter cycle. If you want it to start at 5am to 7 am and again at 5 pm to 7 pm cycle breaker at 5. I normally run in EC (economy mode) I like to use my spa around 7 or 8 pm so I have my filter cycle set to start at 5 pm so the 2 hour filter cycle has run and the temp is back up to the set temp if there was heat loss during the day. 

9 hours ago, Doc Schmo said:

will this be an issue in a Central Ontario winter? Or should I look at adding a circ pump to the tub?  

I am near Milton so same weather. A circ pump would have to be installed when the spa was made. Adding one would require a lot of work.

Post photos of the topside, circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover so we can see how it is wired and what dip switch setting you need. Is it 120V or 240V? Where are you located?