Used 2004 Jacuzzi J 355 Price

t5525

NUMBER 1 RULE WHEN BUYING A USED SPA... NEVER buy a spa you don't see running and up to temp. 

Most spas have an expected lifespan of 20 years but there are spas that go longer with care and maintenance. A lot of factors in placing a price on a used spa. Location.. What I get for a used spa in Toronto will not be the same in Florida. Condition... how old is the cover? is it heavy replacement covers can run 600+ again depending on your location.   

The J 355 is a solid tub and you could do worse. Don't be afraid to open the front panel and get a look at the condition inside. Get your hand down in both corners so you can touch the bottom pan and see if there is moisture/water. This is where you will find if it has any leaks or not. If it is wet I might reconsider this purchase. Remove the cover from the spa pack and visually inspect the circuit board and look for any dark or burnt areas. Look at the shaft between the pumps wet end and the motor. Look for white chalkyness a sign of a failing pump seal. 

As for price a mint condition j 355 might bring 3K delivered here in my area but a spa needing a cover in fair condition and you have to remove it might be 1k.

Is there an ad link for the spa we can look at?

In Arizona three weeks ago, we bought a 2006 J-355 for $3500.  The tub looks new, the skirting has some small scuffs.  A couple of the air controls need replacing - I don't think the seller had noticed.  New ozonator, everything else working properly.  New cover.  Step and cover mechanism included.  All questions answered competently and with a smile.

We first went to a local used spa shop, and the offerings were pretty ugly.  Dirty, scratched and with missing parts, empty and leaning on the walls of a small strip store, apparently no power.  The guy we bought from had six up and running spas in his yard - I would have been delighted to get any one of them.  He includes a modest warranty with the purchase, but we were offered a discount instead because we live in a different city.  We were INVITED to call him with any future questions or concerns.

BTW, we found that a crane was cheaper than a spa moving company to get the spa from our trailer to its slab.

9 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

NUMBER 1 RULE WHEN BUYING A USED SPA... NEVER buy a spa you don't see running and up to temp. 

Most spas have an expected lifespan of 20 years but there are spas that go longer with care and maintenance. A lot of factors in placing a price on a used spa. Location.. What I get for a used spa in Toronto will not be the same in Florida. Condition... how old is the cover? is it heavy replacement covers can run 600+ again depending on your location.   

The J 355 is a solid tub and you could do worse. Don't be afraid to open the front panel and get a look at the condition inside. Get your hand down in both corners so you can touch the bottom pan and see if there is moisture/water. This is where you will find if it has any leaks or not. If it is wet I might reconsider this purchase. Remove the cover from the spa pack and visually inspect the circuit board and look for any dark or burnt areas. Look at the shaft between the pumps wet end and the motor. Look for white chalkyness a sign of a failing pump seal. 

As for price a mint condition j 355 might bring 3K delivered here in my area but a spa needing a cover in fair condition and you have to remove it might be 1k.

Is there an ad link for the spa we can look at?

Here is the link to the hot tub for sale.  Appreciate you help.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1556087036

Spa looks in good condition. Does the audio work? Pop up speakers often fail. Cover looks new..er. Looks like he is a tech. As for price he is basically asking 3K and 400 for delivery. Ad says make offer so I might try to get him down a bit and also try and get a 30/60/90 day warranty out of him. 30 day minimum should not be a problem if you are close by. There are white chalky marks on the floor around it indicating a leak at some point but that could just be from testing but I would do my own inspection on it if he is sticking to "as is". Again look for water/moisture in the corners inside. Jacuzzi spas can be a B to repair leaks on. It is a 20 year old spa. How long would you have to own it to be happy with your 3K investment? Ask him for any extra chemicals. It all costs money and you are going to need some.

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Spa looks in good condition. Does the audio work? Pop up speakers often fail. Cover looks new..er. Looks like he is a tech. As for price he is basically asking 3K and 400 for delivery. Ad says make offer so I might try to get him down a bit and also try and get a 30/60/90 day warranty out of him. 30 day minimum should not be a problem if you are close by. There are white chalky marks on the floor around it indicating a leak at some point but that could just be from testing but I would do my own inspection on it if he is sticking to "as is". Again look for water/moisture in the corners inside. Jacuzzi spas can be a B to repair leaks on. It is a 20 year old spa. How long would you have to own it to be happy with your 3K investment? Ask him for any extra chemicals. It all costs money and you are going to need some.

The children run a spa delivery service, and the father refurbishes spas.  I saw the spa today.  There were 4 other spas in his garage, hahaha.  Audio doesn't work, which is not a concern for me.  I looked inside and didn't see any moisture or leaks, and can only assume the chalky marks are from repairing the pump or heater.  If I could get 3-5 yrs out of the tub I'd be thrilled. I'll inquire about a warrant, good idea. 

What are your thoughts of an 8 year old Caldera martinique spa for $1500.  I saw the spa as well and it was in great condition, no issues or past repairs.

Greatly appreciate you help!

7 hours ago, t5525 said:

8 year old Caldera martinique spa for $1500.  I saw the spa as well and it was in great condition, no issues or past repair

8 years is about the time things go wrong. It is unlikely that they are buying used spas on the open market and refurbishing them. The spas they are refurbishing are the ones folks don't want to spend money on and they were tasked with the removal. Most cases they likely charged for the removal and dump fees and get the spas for free and invest a few bucks on parts so there should be room for negotiation. The Jacuzzi with a new pump and heater should get you the 5 years you are looking for. I put value in the fact they are industry professionals and the spa is running and wet tested over buying used from someone's backyard. Also the garage looks full and quick sales make them money and onto the next one. Try at 2750 delivered and settle at 3K delivered and a 30 day warranty. Then Enjoy. Good luck and let us know how it works out.