2009 Caldera Spa - top side control reading 115

Control pad had 4 dashes displayed on the LED.  I removed the filter, reset the breaker and it was corrected so I originally thought it was a flow issue.

However, top side control now reads 115 with flashing READY icon.  The pumps still work but no heat.

Service technician arrived and took a quick look at the tub.  After about 5 minutes in he advised that I need a full retrofit (control box, top side controller, heater, etc.) to get the tub working again.

Any other advice or steps that I can do myself before moving forward with the full retrofit.

29 minutes ago, LeafNation said:

Service technician arrived and took a quick look at the tub.  After about 5 minutes in he advised that I need a full retrofit (control box, top side controller, heater, etc.) to get the tub working again.

Did he say why and what was causing the issue?

Not really specific, he said there was something going on between the top side control and board.  For troubleshooting, he connected a temp probe to the REG THERM input on the board and reset the breaker.

After searching the web, I am inclined to do a few sensor tests of my own, fuses, etc.  Perhaps pick up a new temp and high limit probe to start with.

13 hours ago, LeafNation said:

he connected a temp probe to the REG THERM input on the board and reset the breaker.

and the topside still read 115 degrees? Was the water actually 115 degrees?

13 hours ago, LeafNation said:

Perhaps pick up a new temp and high limit probe to start with.

sounds like he already tried a new temp probe.

The 4 dashes error is a high limit trip. See page 27... https://www.pioneerfamilypools.ca/wp-content/uploads/resources/hottub-info/4howto/Hot-Tub-Troubleshooting-Guide.pdf

RE: topside... Are you still able to increase/decrease the temp using the topside buttons? Can you still on/off pumps? Lights? 

The topsides from this era that I have seen go bad requiring a complete retrofit usually the display shows 2 lines of 4 dashes and nothing works. 

If at some point you do have to replace the pack and topside I would go with a new Balboa system over a Watkins/Caldera unit. 

Where are you located?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:
15 hours ago, LeafNation said:

he connected a temp probe to the REG THERM input on the board and reset the breaker.

and the topside still read 115 degrees? Was the water actually 115 degrees

Yes it still reads 115, water was never that not.

45 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

RE: topside... Are you still able to increase/decrease the temp using the topside buttons? Can you still on/off pumps? Lights? 

Yes, all of those functions still work.  When I reset the breaker, the LED reads 100 and a few seconds later it jumps to 115.  

The tech put a probe in the REG THERM input but did not touch the LIMIT THERM input.  If it's a high limit trip, does it make sense to replace the high limit probe or a fuse on the board? 

thanks for sharing the manual and I am in the Ottawa area.

I would contact https://www.poolandhottubdepot.com/balboa-vs501z-kit-with-topside-4-0kw-heater/ directly and ask for recommendations. They are very knowledgeable. One thing to consider is the size of the opening where the original topside fit. The new topside will likely be bigger so you may have to open it up a bit for it to fit. Get the measurements for the replacement and make sure it will fit before ordering. The Balboa systems have the sensors in the heater tube so leave the old temp sensor in the filter well and just tuck the old wire up away.