Balboa BP20 Spa overheating

We have a 2016 spa that keep getting an over heat state. The spa has a 220v circulation pump that I thought was the problem but after replacing it we still have the problem. Even with the heater on rest mode and the heater set to low, temp set at 99F it is still overheating (110-115F). Filter is clean and new, all valves are open. Circulation pump is set to run 24hrs as by design. Filtration mode on controller only set for 15min. Circulation pump seems to have good flow out of the 3 bottom outlets and the water fall. Ozone is new and working. Jet pumps are not running except for their 1 min purge every 6hrs. not hot outside. heater and temp sensors all check out. What else am I missing or what else could I check? Can a bad circuit board make the 220V 1/15hp circulation pump run hot and put heat into the water? I have tried to check temperatures of piping with a thermometer gun before and after pump but not getting great readings as its on the outside of the pipe. 

2016 Wind River Spa

Laing Thermotech circ pump E14

Balboa WRBP20B, part number 5611 with Spa Touch controller

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_4563.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

Temperature sensors are most likely cause if the circulation pump is functioning. Do you have a multimeter and if so, do you know how to use it?

Temperature sensors should read in the 10K-20K range. If you have a low and a high sensor, they should read close to the same. Test the sensor/sensors.

thanks! I tested them and they check out ok based on a chart I found that showed temp vs. ohm reading, I do however have a pair on order as they are original and its a cheap fix. Still find it odd that the heater is kicking and overheating the spa on even though I have it on rest mode, it should only kick on when the filter mode is set, which is only 15min at 9pm, and the overheating is happening other times of the day.

Sticky/stuck/failing heater relay? Test for voltage to heater element when spa is NOT calling for heat and see if you get 240V. I normally disconnect the heater from the circuit board and test for power off the circuit board without the heater connected. See if you are getting power off the board when you are not suppose to. Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover.

• Like 1

Sticky/stuck/failing heater relay? Had that thought, any way to test it?

Test for voltage to heater element when spa is NOT calling for heat and see if you get 240V. no voltage on heater element when not calling for heat. Correct voltage when calling for heat

Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover. see attached. 

Is the actual water temp 110+? not sure, but it was over 104 by touch, just tested and spa at 95 F and thermometer said the same

Depending on the system you have I might at some point remove the board and have a look on the back for darkened or burnt areas around the relays thanks for all you help! I also checking the ohm in the heater and the sensors again and no issue, they match what they should, also no leakage between heater connection and ground. 220v is good coming into spa and to the heater. last night I had it on rest and it never turned the heater on so it didn't overheat, cir pump ran all night with no problem, temp dropped a bit over night. tuned the heater up to 97 and it turned off like it should when it hit set temperature.

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

10 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Sticky/stuck/failing heater relay? Test for voltage to heater element when spa is NOT calling for heat and see if you get 240V. I normally disconnect the heater from the circuit board and test for power off the circuit board without the heater connected. See if you are getting power off the board when you are not suppose to. Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

3 hours ago, postman454 said:

Had that thought, any way to test it?

no voltage on heater element when not calling for heat. Correct voltage when calling for heat

Sounds like a good test

last night I had it on rest and it never turned the heater on so it didn't overheat, cir pump ran all night with no problem, temp dropped a bit over night. tuned the heater up to 97 and it turned off like it should when it hit set temperature.

So working as it should. Looking at your initial photos when was the last time you washed the filters. I know you said clean and new but it sounds like the water flow was restricted and a dirty filter is usual cause. Second would be a starting/stopping circ pump and if you have a small magnetic drive Laing circ pump it is not uncommon. Next time it happens remove the filter and reset power also check actual water temp to see if it matches topside display.

17 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Sounds like a good test

So working as it should. Looking at your initial photos when was the last time you washed the filters. I know you said clean and new but it sounds like the water flow was restricted and a dirty filter is usual cause. Second would be a starting/stopping circ pump and if you have a small magnetic drive Laing circ pump it is not uncommon. Next time it happens remove the filter and reset power also check actual water temp to see if it matches topside display.

Thanks! I clean the filter weekly(spray clean) and deep clean monthly. I will do that when it happens again. so far so good now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 4:41 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Sounds like a good test

So this issue came back up again two days ago, the spa was working as is should over a month. I replaced the temp sensors yesterday after I got the over temp fault (I bought them earlier but didnt install as the problem resolved its self) and the issue is still there. filters are clean. over heating to 115 degrees and then it shuts down/faults from over temp, I have to manual reset it, the water temp in the spa is getting that hot as well so I don't think its the Circ pump (which I replaced a month ago). the panel is not shutting off as it should when the set temp is achieved. it wont do it when I am at the controls, for example if I raise the set temp and let the spa heat up to that temp, the heater will turn off as it should, its happening other times in the day. Any other ideas on what could be causing this? maybe the relay? is that replaceable? 

Found this and may give it a try, but I would hate to do this and it not be the issue, so annoying that its interment and I cant get it to do it when I am at the spa to see if the relay is the issue. Looks like those relays are an issue for a lot of BP owners, but more on the failure than staying/sticking to the on position. If anyone else has a thought on what the problem could be let me know. 

you tube

spa guy how to

Balboa BP Style Board Tandem Heater Relay Repair Spa Guy How To Series

On 5/2/2023 at 11:18 AM, Edward Alan said:

The last lime it happened I replaced the entire Balboa BP20 #56698-01 unit, it worked for two years, I'm now having the same problem. Filters are clean. 

Have you resolved the issue? 

Edward, I have not fixed it yet, the replacement relays came in but of course now the spa has been working fine now, the overheating comes and goes, I have not replaced the relays yet, I was hoping others would chime in with info on wether these relays are known to stick or if there was something else I was missing. 

So your spa was overheated 2 years ago and replacing the whole unit fixed the problem till now?

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2023 at 7:20 PM, postman454 said:

Edward, I have not fixed it yet, the replacement relays came in but of course now the spa has been working fine now, the overheating comes and goes, I have not replaced the relays yet, I was hoping others would chime in with info on wether these relays are known to stick or if there was something else I was missing. 

So your spa was overheated 2 years ago and replacing the whole unit fixed the problem till now?

Yes, it's strange, as intermittent problems are almost impossible to diagnose. It happened once again last week. I reset the circuit breaker, and it did a reboot. It's working fine, but the issue still remains.