Spa using too much power??

AZbackyardlife

Roughly how much should a spa cost to run (monthly)? My electric bill is between $70-80 more each month now since getting the spa. Everyone I talked to said it should be between $20-30. I have noticed the spa comes on more than twice a day. Is there something I can check or change to minimize that? It is a 2019 Caldera spa (2 pumps) and both filters are set to 30 mins each (daily). I'm in AZ so it doesn't get very cold. I set it to 102 on the weekends and back to 84 during the week.

I'm in Phoenix, and my spa is set at 104F, so pump/heater come on when the water drops below setting.  My spa (a 240-volt, 40-amp 1988 CalSpa) doesn't even run 30 minutes each day.  Of course I have a cover on it.

I can also set up on a "timer" setting, but only sometimes use that in summer, as water temperature can get over 104F on its own !!!

Ok, thanks.  I will try that.  Just figured since it had been getting down to the 30-40's here it would work harder to maintain that high temp.  

I still think there is something going on with the spa though.  I bumped it down to 84 Sunday night.  I checked it this morning because I thought I heard it on.....and it was.  It was running with the heat icon flashing and the water was at 91.  I had it set to 84 so I would think it shouldn't be heating the water and the filter cycle wasn't set for that time either.  What would cause it to come on when it isn't scheduled and it isn't trying to maintain at set temp?

Here in Canada, my well insulated hot tub uses about a $1 a day in the summer when no heating is needed and it is just running a small circulation pump (24/7) and UVC light.  Temp in the summer is set to about 98.  In the winter, set to 101, it uses roughly $2.25 a day (really cold days more) when not used.  With use the cost goes up to $3.0 to $4 per day, depending on how long the soak is and how much the massage pumps are used.

We only adjust the temp seasonally and use the tub nearly daily.

20 hours ago, AZbackyardlife said:

What would cause it to come on when it isn't scheduled and it isn't trying to maintain at set temp?

Not sure in your case, but my tub has a winter mode where it will run the pumps to prevent freezing in the equipment area if it detects low temps on the controller board.

Not all spas are insulated the same.  Caldera uses a moderate fibercore insulation, although they aren't the best insulated spas.   My 2019 Hotspring Highlife Jetsetter uses spray foam insulation.  I'm on Florida's Space Coast so the heater is rarely used haha, although I do use the spa every night of the year including summer time.

In the summer time my small 3-seater consumes about $12 a month, and in the winter time that jumps up to about $15 😄

On 3/1/2023 at 11:16 AM, AZbackyardlife said:

It was running with the heat icon flashing and the water was at 91.  I had it set to 84 so I would think it shouldn't be heating the water and the filter cycle wasn't set for that time either.  What would cause it to come on when it isn't scheduled and it isn't trying to maintain at set temp?

Not sure about your tub, but with mine the heat icon flashes when it is performing it's periodic water temp check outside of the filter cycle hours.  The heater icon goes solid if the tub starts to heat after performing temp check and sensing it needs to run the heater.