Really need help

Vegas

I posted quite awhile back about black flakes in the tub. I was told re-run ahh-some through it again. Well I have done that as well as 2 other purge products and have in total drained and refilled 6 times. And super chlorinated once just in case it was mold.

Here is the background: purchased tub in 2020 NEW. Black flakes started appearing around the water line and in the filters right after a pump went out and we had it replaced under warranty. This is when I started purging and refilling thinking it was either mold or some sort of contamination with the pump. Also at this time we had switched the Bromine ( with a floater ) 

after all my attempts at to fix the issue the dealer agreed to replace the pump once again, as well as the circulation pump as it was leaking. They also asked us to switch back to chlorine which, I did so. Well after a week with the new pump and fresh water the black flakes are back. 

I believe they are rubber degrading or some sort of coating used internally due to the fact you can’t really catch them. When you go to wipe it off they smudge like ink.

as far as balancing the tub I have always used a Taylor Drop test kit AND take sample to my local Leslie’s. Tub also has an ozone. 

I have added a short video of the filter for reference.

I really appreciate any help you all can offer me!! 

List what external products and chemicals you add to the spas water. As for rubber in a spa you have 0-rings around the control valves on the top edge of the spa. O-rings sealing plumbing to pumps as well as to the heater tube. The heater tube gasket type O-rings can decay a little quicker and worth a check. O-rings/gaskets around jet bodies sealing the jet to the acrylic. Gate Valves or slice valves also carry a rubber plunger to shut off or isolate components from water like pumps or the heater for repair. What is the source of the water you are putting into the spa?  Do you use a mineral stick or the @ease frog system?

9 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

List what external products and chemicals you add to the spas water. As for rubber in a spa you have 0-rings around the control valves on the top edge of the spa. O-rings sealing plumbing to pumps as well as to the heater tube. The heater tube gasket type O-rings can decay a little quicker and worth a check. O-rings/gaskets around jet bodies sealing the jet to the acrylic. Gate Valves or slice valves also carry a rubber plunger to shut off or isolate components from water like pumps or the heater for repair. What is the source of the water you are putting into the spa?  Do you use a mineral stick or the @ease frog system?

We use Las Vegas tap water

chemicals are:

Leslie’s Dry Acid, baking soda. as needed 

leisure Time, chlorinating granules. leisure Time, nonchlorine shock.

spa perfect enzymes once a month.

we DID use a drop in mineral stick when we first purchased the tub but stopped 

That’s it. 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:07 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Found it! O-rings were breaking down.

what could cause this? 

0A73833B-3AAD-42B8-85CC-4165EC9DEC25.jpeg

6245D499-CDBC-4CEF-9BBE-6C874E6AF8F0.jpeg

Just now, Vegas said:

What chemistry in particular?

water is tested at Leslie’s and my Taylor drop test kit

someone smarter than I will drop in and say what chemical could cause it.  I just know that every time I read about rings degrading, it's the chemicals they are using. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 2:18 PM, Vegas said:

What chemistry in particular?

Low pH, or extremely high concentrations of chlorine could cause rubber seals to degrade

On 2/8/2023 at 2:18 PM, Vegas said:

water is tested at Leslie’s and my Taylor drop test kit

Pool Chemical supply stores are in the business to sell you chemicals.  They aren't in the business of selling you the most efficient economical easy soak.   Their advice is generalized and not specific to any one spa.  That's why it's always advised to take the advice of the manufacturer or dealer over these pool supply stores.

Just now, ratchett said:

Low pH, or extremely high concentrations of chlorine could cause rubber seals to degrade

Pool Chemical supply stores are in the business to sell you chemicals.  They aren't in the business of selling you the most efficient economical easy soak.   Their advice is generalized and not specific to any one spa.  That's why it's always advised to take the advice of the manufacturer or dealer over these pool supply stores.

Ph was never low always 7.6-7.8
Sanitizer always in range 2-5ppm