Hot springs salt water system high

BeninMaine

I have a 1 year old Hotsprings Prodigy spa with a salt water system. I have the setting on 3 of the 1-10 use scale and the total bromine, free chlorine, alk, ph, and hardness are almost always in the happy places. (Once every 3 weeks I throw in some chlorine granules.) Salt is in the 1500ppm range. Yet the salt system keeps alerting to ‘high’ levels. Any suggestions?

15 hours ago, BeninMaine said:

(Once every 3 weeks I throw in some chlorine granules.)

Careful, watch your CYA stabilizer levels if using granular dichlor chlorine (Dichlor56 contains roughly 43% CYA).  Once it hits 200-250ppm you need to dump/refill, there is no sequestering CYA out of the water.

15 hours ago, BeninMaine said:

Yet the salt system keeps alerting to ‘high’ levels. Any suggestions?

The salt system is using the two electrodes of the salt cell and measuring the conductivity of the water.  The salt cell could either be failing, or clogged up with scale buildup - it's a smart/easy way for them to test salt levels in the water, but prone to inaccurate readings.  Try taking the salt cell out of the tub and giving it a good hose down then see if that fixes the issue.  

• Like 1

How old is the water?  The built in salt test is a conductivity test which measures salt and TDS.  TDS (total dissolved solids) is a measure of all chemicals or anything that has been added to the water.  A conductivity test doesn't know the difference between TDS and salt.  The older your water, the higher the TDS.  If the salt is 1,500 and the hot tub thinks its high, you likely have high TDS which requires a partial drain/refill to lower or you have dirty filters which are restricting the water flow and causing the system to falsely read the salt lever higher than it is.

• Like 1