Hot Springs Spa Powerless After Refilling

DannyB5683

On 1/8/2023 at 8:50 PM, tjr said:

Hey Dave, not yet- still working on it. I find it hard to believe that the circuit board and the heater crapped out simultaneously a few weeks back.l when refilling. That seems like it might be the case though. 🤦🏼.Right now though, everything seems to be working fine, but the heater. A Watkins rep suggested I try replacing the sensors first- so I ordered a new set of high limit and control sensors. I fear that maybe I broke something while I was fiddling with the heater a few weeks back BEFORE I realized I had a circuit board problem? (I took it apart, cracked the plastic slightly over tightening the high limit sensor). I am going to attempt the sensor swap out  and if that doesn’t work- I am going to try a new heater. The relay board and main board are showing that everything power wise is correct- so I’m hoping I can get this heater issue solved. With the weather in the northeast, I am constantly worrying about freezing pipes. I even filled up the hot tub this time with warmer water and it was around 94…steadily dropping to 82 now- it’s been a long process, hoping I’m getting to a solution. 

So thank you for your suggestion TJR- this part actually helped bring my spa back to life. I finally have power to the spa. My water is around 50 degrees and the heater does not seem to be working. I’m not sure what the issue could be- I’m getting the solid red light on the circuit board, so I’m kind of confused as to why it’s not heating up. Could the water be too cold?? Do I need warmer water to get it going?

Hey Dave, not yet- still working on it. I find it hard to believe that the circuit board and the heater crapped out simultaneously a few weeks back.l when refilling. That seems like it might be the case though. 🤦🏼.Right now though, everything seems to be working fine, but the heater. A Watkins rep suggested I try replacing the sensors first- so I ordered a new set of high limit and control sensors. I fear that maybe I broke something while I was fiddling with the heater a few weeks back BEFORE I realized I had a circuit board problem? (I took it apart, cracked the plastic slightly over tightening the high limit sensor). I am going to attempt the sensor swap out  and if that doesn’t work- I am going to try a new heater. The relay board and main board are showing that everything power wise is correct- so I’m hoping I can get this heater issue solved. With the weather in the northeast, I am constantly worrying about freezing pipes. I even filled up the hot tub this time with warmer water and it was around 94…steadily dropping to 82 now- it’s been a long process, hoping I’m getting to a solution. 

How are things going with your power issue? Any progress?

On 1/9/2023 at 7:01 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Now that you know how to insert the wires go back through all of them and see if perhaps one is not making a good connection. Might explain why it suddenly came back to life. Also might be a break in a circuit on the board or a loose solder connection on the terminal block. Try gently pressing on the board and terminal block with the back of a screwdriver to see if it clicks back into place/makes connection. Would likely be short lived but might give you a clue to follow.

An update- I’ve got power to my board- I purchased new sensors for the heater as per a Watkins tech -and installed them. After installing them, I waited the hour, and my water temp hasn’t budged at all. I then noticed I don’t have any bubbles coming from the heater return at the bottom of the spa. I assume this means the water isn’t circulating/ heating. I am completely baffled as to what the issue could be anymore. It seems like I solve one problem and another one pops up- none of it makes any sense. I do have a new heater on standby to install if it comes to that. It’s just strange that I was getting those bubbles in the heater return showing that the water was circulating- and now that the new sensors are in- the bubbles have stopped ?!?! Any thoughts as to why or fixes to this situation?

Test for power coming off the circuit board going to the circulation pump. If you have power going to the circ pump them you have an issue with the circ pump. Can you feel the circ pump humming/running?  Could it be an air lock that needs to be released? Dirty filters? 

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Test for power coming off the circuit board going to the circulation pump. If you have power going to the circ pump them you have an issue with the circ pump. Can you feel the circ pump humming/running?  Could it be an air lock that needs to be released? Dirty filters? 

So it was actually the ozone injector that was clogged- I cleaned it out and then the bubbles really started pushing. Now I’m just hoping that my heater works. It’s just incredible to think that after draining and refilling the spa- my motherboard battery died- the heater went- and the ozone injector became clogged. I mean, what are the chances of all of these happening simultaneously?

I had to head to work, but I’m hoping when I get home, my heater will be functioning properly. And if the water isn’t warming up, than I would have to guess I need to change out the heater.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:42 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Issue FINALLY RESOLVED! Replaced the heater today and that seems to have been one of my many culprits. Hot tub is now heating up. So I assume whatever zapped the battery on my board also took out the heater in the process. After installing that battery…cleaning out the ozone line clog…and replacing the heater- I finally have a functional hot tub. Thank you CanadianSpaTech and everyone else for your help !

• Like 5