3 Step Bromine Confirmation

ddrueckh

@waterbear  I plan to use the 3 step Bromine sanitization method in an inflatable hot tub.  I have a supply of Dichlor so plan to use that to shock instead of bleach for now.  If using Dichlor, my research on this site has led me to believe I should have the following water parameters.

TA 100-120 (higher than the recommended 50-70 when using bleach)

pH 7.6 - 7.8

CH 130-150

Is this correct?  In the below post are my starting water values. Thanks!

Thank you for the reply. I will leave the Alk at 80 and see how it goes. I raised my CH and it went to 150. I’m currently at the following (all measured with a Taylor k-2106):

TA 80

pH 7.2

CH 150

Br 5

I wonder if I will need to bump the pH up. If so, what do you recommend doing to keep it a little higher?  Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, ddrueckh said:

I wonder if I will need to bump the pH up. If so, what do you recommend doing to keep it a little higher?

pH tends to rise on it's own. If it drops then raise the TA to around 100 ppm.

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52522-some-truths-about-ph-and-ta/

@waterbear one more question.  When shocking a bromine tub, do you add the amount the container says or just enough to get bromine to 10ppm (I'm using dichlor to shock)?  The recommended amount really makes my bromine go very high (using a Toylor k-2106 to test) and takes 24-48 hours to come back down below 10.  I would rather use less dichlor so I can use my spa sooner but wonder if it will not be enough to "shock" properly.  Thank you for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 12:17 PM, ddrueckh said:

takes 24-48 hours to come back down below 10

not unusual. Are you leaving the tub uncovered and circulating after shocking? You want to bring the total bromine to above 10 ppm (around 15 ppm is good), and then wait until it's below 10 ppm to enter the tub. It will take a while. usually about a day.