Hot Tub won't power on, keeps blowing a fuse

SkunkApe

Hi all,

hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. My Hot Tub has no power. I first verified that I'm getting the correct 240v going to the Hot Tub, so I decided to dig a bit deeper. The GFCI is NOT tripping, however there is a blown 2A 250V fuse. (I attached the board diagram and outlined the fuse that keeps blowing)

At first, I switched the GFCI off, replaced the fuse, flipped it back on, and I can see the fuse blowing immediately. Flipped breaker off again, I unplugged every component I could see going into the board (pump, heater, topside, etc,etc.) replaced the fuse again, flipped breaker on with everything unplugged, and the fuse still blew.

At this point, I'm not sure what else it could be. Could it be a bad board? Could it be something else? Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

hottub.jpg

hottub1.jpg

EEK...

Yes to the bad board, HOWEVER, I had a similar issue where the touch screen topside was blowing that fuse.

The one below it is the same value, and runs peripheral lights and salt systems and the like.

Unplug the spa side controller, (Touch Screen) , swap fuses, and re boot.

If she holds, then you need a spa side controller.

If she blows, the transformer is bad, ....Board...and you need 2 fuses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, In Hot Water said:

EEK...

Yes to the bad board, HOWEVER, I had a similar issue where the touch screen topside was blowing that fuse.

The one below it is the same value, and runs peripheral lights and salt systems and the like.

Unplug the spa side controller, (Touch Screen) , swap fuses, and re boot.

If she holds, then you need a spa side controller.

If she blows, the transformer is bad, ....Board...and you need 2 fuses.

Thanks!

yeah, I put a new fuse in yesterday, disconnected the topside/touch screen, flipped the breaker bad on and the fuse blew immediately. 

I was anticipating I need a new board, but just wanted to cover all bases. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Is it a new install or has it been running up until this issue?. If a new install confirm the incoming power wires are in the correct positions in the block. If in wrong locations it could send 240 to a transformer expecting 120V and blow the fuse. 

It’s about 3 years old.  was installed back in 2019 from what I could gather.  We moved into this house about a year and a half ago. Has been running fine up until late last week.

Just now, CanadianSpaTech said:

Any recent power spikes? A spike in power can cause damage quicker than the fuse can protect. You might want to pull the board (likely has to come out anyway) and have a look on the back for darkened or burnt areas

No spikes that I can recall. I have a new board ordered and should be here Monday. I’ll probably pull the old one out sometime this weekend to have a look. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brandonparrish1987 said:

Crazy I just posted the exact same issue the other day regarding the exact fuse lol. Let us know if the board works for you. I would hate to spend that kind of cash on it and it not be that. 

Haha go figure!  

I’ll update as soon as I swap it out.