Dichlor/Bleach Method, Will Be Gone For A Month

Jhastings000

My first time to post on the forum. I’ve searched for an answer but haven’t found one specific to dichlor/beach method. Apologies if this has already been covered.

We have a 350 gal. tub I’ve been maintaining with the dichlor/bleach method. BTW, thanks to all who contributed to the detailed write ups on D/B, it’s been working very well for me.

We’re going to be leaving for ~25 days and need guidance on the best way to keep the tub disinfected while we’re gone. I tried using a Frog chlorine cartridge (tub has a built in Frog system) last year but that didn’t seem to play well with the D/B water chemistry.

Any help greatly appreciated.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:04 AM, Jhastings000 said:

bleach method

Careful with bleach - most "bleach" bought in stores these days contains a splashless additive.  Some cheap dollar stores still sell the original bleach formula but it's not really advertised as such.  Your best bet is liquid chlorine from the local pool chemical supply store - but it can be dangerous to handle and splashes can affect surfaces which is why most people prefer handling granular dichlor chlorine.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:04 AM, Jhastings000 said:

We’re going to be leaving for ~25 days and need guidance on the best way to keep the tub disinfected while we’re gone. I tried using a Frog chlorine cartridge (tub has a built in Frog system) last year but that didn’t seem to play well with the D/B water chemistry.

So if you're not using them already, a Nature2 silver mineral cartridge can help reduce the amount of chlorine you'll need to use to keep the water clean (for example, maintaining closer to 0.5ppm FC instead of 1.0 to 3.0ppm FC)

Next up, I would seriously consider purging the plumbing with ahhsome or other purge cleaner and then drain/refill before leaving - the cleaner your internal plumbing, the less chlorine you'll need to use to keep the spa clean.

For a week or two away, I do a chlorine shock (3 tablespoons dichlor56 chlorine, run jets for 30 minutes with cover off, then close cover until your return).  But 25+ days is a long time away.

I know chlorine tablets aren't really advised for spas, but in this case it could be the exception - just ensure that the floater is working correctly and you have the floater almost entirely closed to ensure nothing but the least amount of chlorine out into the water.  I would advise running a test for a few days leaving the floater in the water, and test/monitor chlorine levels to see how fast they climb or stabilize - you may need to close the floater outlet even more to ensure you don't skyrocket over 10ppm FC.

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

If mine - and I use bromine tablets in a floater normally: I would first shock with persulfate, fill my floater with bromine tablets, and lower the temperature, and I'd guess mine would be fine for 25 days.  If I felt insecure, I'd have a neighbor kid come over after 2 weeks and add more bromine tablets.

I'm sure that I've gone that long without attention to my own spa for that long as we don't use it in the Arizona summers.....