Jet 1 works, but not filter suction

Truckeerspa

First time writing on this site,  Typically I can find the answer just reading other comments, but I've searched.  Thank you for any help!  

Spa: 2017 Caldera Vacanza Vanto - This model has no circulation pump, jet 1 controls general heating 

Error code- 5 double dash line when on jet 1 (1 push)- Jet 1 has 2 push settings 

Issue:  When on jet 1, first setting, I get no filter suction and the error code comes up and so heat doesn't work.  The jet turns on even on setting 1, just not filter suction  I can heat the tub if I put it on Jet 2, but this jet will shut off after 1hr and then it goes back to same issue and won't heat the tub, plus there is no filtering action in general. 

Both fuses work 

Jet 1 and Jet 2 both work

I've run it without the filter in and I still get the same problem 

I've taken flow sensor off and clean leads- (I don't think it could be flow sensor because it's working just not on jet 1 first sensor), is this right?  

I don't think it could be an airlock because both jets work, but maybe? 

Perhaps a clogged line below filter housing?  If so, any suggestions on how I'd remove? 

THANK YOU!! Any help would be appreciated.  I live in a mountain town and hot tub repair guys are so expensive.  

Jeff 

You Have 2 pumps.

Jet 1 should be the two speed pump plumbed to the controller.

Jet 2 should be the one speed not plumbed to the controller.

Verify this first.

If this is not the case, then the pumps are wired flip flop in the controller.

1st press: System 1 jet pump runs on low speed
 2nd press: System 1 jet pump runs on high speed
 3rd press: System 1 & System 2 jet pumps run on high speed
 4th press: System 2 jet pump runs on high speed

If all of that is good, then the pressure switch is faulty.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, Truckeerspa said:

I've taken flow sensor off and clean leads- (I don't think it could be flow sensor because it's working just not on jet 1 first sensor), is this right?  

No. A pressure switch is actuated by a rubber diaphram that can and does get stiff over time, so the low speed may not close it anymore.

Also, from your description of no suction at the filter on low (which can difficult to detect by hand even when working) I suspect a "spun" impeller, which is where the impeller breaks from the shaft but is still moved by the friction at the break due to the spring pressure from the seal. In low, it barely moves, but in high it moves enough to trigger the switch.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, Truckeerspa said:

live in a mountain town and hot tub repair guys are so expensive.  

Worked out there for a few years, might have even seen this spa at some point. Truckee is gorgeous. Love the drive up from Tahoe.

Thank you Inhotwater and RDspaguy.   

So yes, all 4 functions work that inhotwater mentioned.  So it sounds like it might be a sensor.  Definitley worth replacing that.  Thank you!!!  

RDspaguy, how would I know if it's spun impellar?  Would I replace the pump 1 if that's the case? 

Yeah, Truckee is amazing.  Love it here!  

10 hours ago, Truckeerspa said:

sounds like it might be a sensor. 

You mean pressure switch?

how would I know if it's spun impellar

Remove the pump face and see. 

Would I replace the pump 1 if that's the case? 

I'd just get a new impeller and seal, assuming the motor runs good and the shaft is not eaten away by rust.