110, 20 vs 30 amps worthwhile?

jedispork

I'm awaiting delivery of my hot springs pace and trying to decide on the wiring.  I have a 100 amp panel with water heater and dryer on gas.  I think a circuit would have to be moved over to fit a dual breaker and then all slots would be filled. I'm thinking the tub should stay on 110.

What I can't decide is if its worth while to hook it up for 30 amps? It allows the heater to run at 1kw with the jets on high. I only like the jets on high for maybe 10 minutes or keep it on low unless my wife is with me.  Being on 110 I would probably set the temp to 101 or 102 to offset the drop. Do you think it would slow the temp drop enough to be worthwhile? I'm in the midwest so it gets cold here.

I think the advantage of having a plug is that I could hook up to a generator if need be. I also feel a bit better having the gfci on the cord in case the other one failed.

than you

The specs on the tub itself is 115V 30A or 220V 50A in one place and 115V 20A dedicated circuit in another. I get the confusion.

Personally, I would run the 30A dedicated circuit, but I also have a 200A panel.

Remember, the dedicated circuit is a single 20/30A outlet which is matched to the configuration of the cord, it's not hard wired into the tub. Per code, to not have a GFCI breaker or on the outlet itself, it must be a dedicated outlet.

IMHO, the GFCI plug most Spa manufacturers use isn't all that great and tend to have a higher failure rate than a GFCI circuit breaker. I would rather put the GFCI breaker in the panel but again, that's me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with how you want to hook it up and you made a valid point about using the generator to power it if need be.

I think for 110 30 amps it still has to be hardwired. There is also a process described in the manual to switch it over so the heat runs at 1kw with the pump on high. This tub comes setup for 110 20 amp with the cord connected.

My softub was connected to a weather resistant outlet that was fed from a gfci outlet indoors. They didn't have gfci breakers for my panel at the time. it was the only device on the circuit.

If I decide to keep the plug on the tub I still need to move the outlet. Maybe I should see if they are available for my panel.

With this tub you can divert power and shut off jets. Im curious how much that would improve the experience when the jets are on low? I could be just fine on a 20 amp circuit. 

Nothing says you can't run heavy enough wire for a 30A circuit now, put in a 20A breaker. 10-2 will cover up to 125', run 8-2 and you will have plenty of capacity. This gives you options down the road.

Trying to find modern breakers for old panels is a royal PITA. My outdoor main panel is a Siemens, QP panel, my indoor panel Is an old ITC and can take Siemens QD. The QP doesn't fit but a QD will fit in a QP panel. Confused yet?

• Like 1