Looking for advice on new or used hot tub, and which brand

K50

am looking to purchase my first hot tub - or should I say my wife wants one.  Most friends / family I know spend good $ and then after a few years end up not using so much.  We have decided on a larger tub, one that will hold 4-6 without a lounge.  That said, our favorite so far is a Jacuzzi 385 but it’s 15k plus 6% tax here in PA.  So about 16k.  I have been pitching the idea of a “starter” tub maybe preowned, refurbished, or a cheaper brand.  Thinking I could find used for maybe 3k but have also looked at the cheaper big chain store tubs that are maybe 6k.  If I knew we would use it often and for many years, I would buy the jacuzzi (or some other good brand tub, all the nice new ones are 15k or more).  So looking for advice, I am pretty handy and understand if the components are balboa or gecko, then part replacement should not be terribly difficult, as long as it’s not too old.  I was thinking nothing older than 2015.  There are folks on Facebook marketplace that buy broken tubs and refurbish.  This seems a decent way to go.  Those are in the 4K range and come with a 30-90 day warranty, enough to know that it’s working properly.  Then I found a tub called buenospa.  This is made by Wellis, sort of the no frills division of Wellis.  What I read about Wellis is that their tubs are mid level.  Thing is, the buenospa Chicago model is what we are looking for feature wise, brand new about $5500, lots less than 15k.  It has gecko components, 2 pumps both 3hp one single speed, one dual speed.  Lesser warranty than the expensive tubs, 2 years on components. Shell / exterior is longer.  So is this a better idea than a 7-8 year old used tub?  Like is a 7 year old refurbished Viking tub better than a new Wellis/buenospa new tub?  

anyone have experience with bueno or Wellis?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks Paul

No personal experience with Wellis but I would want to have a reputable retailer supporting the product.  Wellis is an importer (non-North America made) of hot tubs and the idea of importing hot tubs, while getting more common, also means less options for support and parts availability.

Used all depends on brand, condition, and price.  Viking is an entry level hot tub.  Nothing wrong with that, but keep that in mind when looking.  I would probably pick a Wellis over a used Viking.  But, if that used hot tub was a premium brand (Hot Spring, Caldera, Marquis, Jacuzzi, Sundance, etc) then I would probably go the used route.  There is a reason that the Wellis retails for less than wholesale on the Jacuzzi, and its not because you are paying for the Jacuzzi name.

15 minutes ago, castletonia said:

No personal experience with Wellis but I would want to have a reputable retailer supporting the product.  Wellis is an importer (non-North America made) of hot tubs and the idea of importing hot tubs, while getting more common, also means less options for support and parts availability.

Used all depends on brand, condition, and price.  Viking is an entry level hot tub.  Nothing wrong with that, but keep that in mind when looking.  I would probably pick a Wellis over a used Viking.  But, if that used hot tub was a premium brand (Hot Spring, Caldera, Marquis, Jacuzzi, Sundance, etc) then I would probably go the used route.  There is a reason that the Wellis retails for less than wholesale on the Jacuzzi, and its not because you are paying for the Jacuzzi name.

If I buy used then I have to find a dealer or repair shop and pay everything out of pocket.  Same for wellis after the 2 year warranty.  

Buying used... #1: Never buy a spa you can't see running and up to temperature. 

Have a check list when you go looking.

What condition is the water in when you get there. Is it clean and clear. Does it smell fresh. This will give you an indication of how the owner maintains the spa. 

Condition of the cover... Most have a 3-5 year lifespan. Is it heavy, rips in material, chemical burn on the underside. Replacement $600

look at where the spa is sitting. Is there a good base under it. Is there any signs of rot at the base or green algae on the ground from leaks or poor drainage

Open panels and look for signs of previous or current leaks. They will usually show as white chalkiness on the floor

Inspect the pumps. Look at the motor shaft in between the wet end and the dry motor. The seal that separates the wet end from the motor are wear items. Look for signs of leaks. Again white chalkiness will show on the wet end housing below the shaft if it has been leaking. Is the motor shaft rusty and crusty. 

Listen to the spa running during a heat of filtering cycle. Is it noisy? Will it drive your wife and neighbours nuts at night. Spas with circulation pumps tend to be quieter than spas that use a main pump on low speed for heating and filtering.

Know your extended costs. How will you move it. Measure gates. Make sure you can get it out from where it is and into your location. Spas are tipped on their sides for moving. Professional movers $300+. Know your electrical costs. Electrical can easily run $1000+. New filters $60+. Chemicals $100+.

After purchase and before draining the spa at its current location I would run a plumbing line cleaner through it to clean and disinfect the spa.

Use common sense and if you see any red flags walk away or negotiate a better price to cover any related costs. Can't tell you how many times we are asked to move a used spa and we go to lift it up and the bottom falls out from rot.

After inspection ask yourself can I use the spa for a year or 2 and still be able to resell it for close to investment if you find you are not using it or if you want to upgrade to new.

If you are buying new vette the dealer as much as you do brand and price. A warranty is useless if you can't get timely service when needed. Do they have in house service or do they farm it out to a 3rd party. What are their service fees to support the warranty. Most MFGs only pay for time on site and not for travel time to get there. 

Come back and update us on what you decide and how it went. Good Luck

Thanks for all the advice on used.  What are your thoughts on a cheaper new model.  I had mentioned the buenosoa Chicago model which is made by wellis.  Comes with min 2 year warranty and is 1/3 price of the jacuzzi 385.  Pretty basic 2 pump model, no circulation pump (one pump is 2 speed).  If it’s made decently, uses gecko controller, how bad could it be?  3hp pumps, would these fail prematurely?  If it was delivered with leaks or issues, it’s still under warranty.  I just wonder if the jacuzzi is really 3x better for 3x price.  Other reality is I am 58, probably won’t be in the same house / location for > 10 years.  And also don’t know how much we would use it.  

thanks!

17 minutes ago, K50 said:

Other reality is I am 58, probably won’t be in the same house / location for > 10 years.

They are portable.

39 minutes ago, K50 said:

and is 1/3 price of the jacuzzi 385.

Just don't expect it to function like a Jacuzzi 385. As the end user a question should be does it fit my families needs. Are you buying a spa to just sit in it and enjoy family time or are you more interested in therapeutic purposes. Jets matter and it's not the number of jets but how they operate. Small faced jets are limited in performance and might not provide the therapeutic relief you may be looking for. A mix of small medium and large faced jets is ideal. 

Bueno is the Wellis sub brand. Where does there "Name" brand Wellis Spa the "Paris" model fit in price between the Bueno and the Jacuzzi. Looks like it has a longer warranty (5 year likely pro rated over the 5 year period) with a better jet package and more added features.   https://wellisspa.com/product/paris/

20 hours ago, K50 said:

Really not for therapeutic, more a place to go socialize, have a drink.  Especially when it’s cold out, even in the snow.  Wife thinks during summer, we can soak and cool off.  I can’t see myself using more than once a week, and only to hang with family / friends occasionally.  

44 minutes ago, K50 said:

I can’t see myself using more than once a week

You might be surprised once you enjoy the benefits... sleep better, sore and aching joints and for me it takes the tension out of my body. I walk with the aid of a cane and I can work all day but once I stop everything tightens up and can be very uncomfortable. I can sit in a hot bath for an hour and it does nothing. A hit...or 2 of the devils weed (legal in Canada) and a 20 min soak in the hot tub and I can relax. I can feel my shoulders drop as the pent up tension is released. 

• Like 1