CMP SQR jet system

In Hot Water

On 10/27/2022 at 1:50 AM, In Hot Water said:

Anyone know what lubricant we are supposed to be using to shove these things back in

Is that a serious question? Silicone, of course.

On 10/27/2022 at 6:54 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

like Vaseline

We don't want to hear about your personal life, Canadaguy. Keep that sh!t to yourself. 😉🤣

On 10/28/2022 at 6:54 PM, In Hot Water said:

I can't wait for 6 years down the road when a trichlor tub eats up all the gaskets.

No loosening a nut or thru-wall and slipping in a new gasket there, gotta cut it out (or slather on a caulk bandaid). Maybe the "grommet" will hold up better, but I doubt it. They seem to be building things to break these days, make you buy new ones frequently. 

I bought a new fridge a few years ago. It lasted exactly 2 weeks past it's 2 year warranty, then the compressor crapped out. Would have cost more than a whole new fridge to get that one fixed. Meanwhile, the old 1960-something fridge in the garage was still going strong, never broke down once, you just have to unplug it and let the freezer melt twice a year. 

On 10/30/2022 at 11:36 PM, RDspaguy said:

Is that a serious question? Silicone, of course.

I found the part # and description, Still don't know what the stuff is yet.

22212-000-001 SQR LUBRICANT SPRAY BOTTLE 1 QT ALL SQR PRODUCTS
22212-000-005 SQR LUBRICANT PAIL 5 GAL ALL SQR PRODUCTS

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cranbiz said:

Shouldn't be using Trichlor in a hot tub.

But when we role up on one that has, and all of the jets are leaking, ALL of them,...... it's going to be a bad service call.

Don't know about you, but I don't have time to re-plumb a spa from the ground up.  Hell, no one can tell me what parts I need now.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:07 AM, cranbiz said:

Shouldn't be using Trichlor in a hot tub.

That doesn't stop alot of people from doing so anyway. Very common in the field. And highly destructive.

20 hours ago, In Hot Water said:

I don't have time to re-plumb a spa from the ground up.

Even if you do, the cost is prohibitive. Most will buy a different spa or just live with it.

• 5 weeks later...

OK. Finally went out to the "SQR" job.

American Spa AKA Cal Spas sent out the 200 series SQR jet, Gasket, and an unlabeled bag of lubricant.

The lube was gelatinous, and watery. Much like dried up *** lube (Not that I know what that is).

It absolutely sucked trying to shove the puppy into the grommet even with the prescribed lube.

Had to pound it into place with a rubber mallet. At this point, I'm thinking Aladdin Magic Lube will not only work, but may be better.

Heaven help us all when these things fail..........

That is all.

• Like 1

SQR by CMP is a compression-fit grommet. The point of the SQR gromment / jet body systems is to (with a precision cut hole saw) be able to be popped in easily and negates the need for glues / silicone, and a wingnut in the back. I work for a spa manufacturer who helped CMP develop and test this system and we have used it on all of our spas for at least 7 years (the patent just ran out so I would expect other manufacturers to develop it and more brands to use it). It has greatly reduced our leaks overall and we have encountered no problems with it.

To the specific point of how it is installed - we just use glass cleaner as a lubricant and a rubber mallet to install here at the factory. 

I hope this helps. Good luck moving forward. 

• Like 2

Thank You TheWizardOFSpa !

I'm a little pensive about whacking a replacement jet back into place out in the field on a brand new spa.

I also can't help but wonder the life span of the grommets in adverse environments with uneducated owners using TriChlor from Walmart.

CMP has screwed me before by discontinuing "Cross Fire Jets" .

I hope they don't turn their back on the SQR series.

Thanks again for your post, Not a whole lot of info from these manufacturers on this product.

Rock On My Brother!

I might not have been totally clear on my last post so to further clarify: The SQR grommet pops in with a rubber mallet and with a little bit of glass cleaner as a lubricant. Then the jet body pops in. 

The grommet is slightly oversized and the force of said gromment (hence - "compression") holds it in and negates the need for a wingnut on the back end, and eliminates the need for glue / silicone. When you put your hands on one of these grommets you'll understand the sheer thickness of it and how it is fundamentally different than other systems out there. 

As most are already aware, if a customer is using Tri-Chlor tablet, the entire spa warranty is void. I have not found one brand of spas that warranties Tri-Chlor tablet usage so it won't be just the jetting that is an issue - heaters, pumps, seals / gaskets, covers, and possibly even the acrylic can all be damaged from the tablets. Thus its a much larger issue than just the grommets. 

Sorry for any potential confusion in my previous post to anyone who is / was reading.