SpaBuilders M-series board retrofit

tombils

Hello fellow Spa-goers!

My wife and I bought a house earlier this year and we got an old (10ish years) Apollo Spas tub included in the sale. Suffice to say, I’ve been having a bunch of problems with it since. Ultimately, the issues was a stuck heater relay. In all this commotion, and with my engineering mind ticking, I decided to design a new control board that utilizes more modern parts to upgrade the old clunky SpaBuilders-Gecko boards. I’ve added wifi control (with phone app) and can drive a 7+kW heater. It can control 6 pumps, ozone and lighting with pressure and temperature inputs for limits. I know there are other folks out there (spaguts for example) that sell retrofit boards, but these are pricey for what they are.

I wanted to reach out to this great community and see whether anyone would be interested in this, and what features people would like to see to help them with existing spa builds or retrofits.

cheers,

tom

I have no idea what you just said, but as a general rule do not recommend DIY control systems, even for engineers, for both safety and liability reasons. There are some other folks who have done so successfully, but I don't believe a DIY pool and spa forum is the place to explain how, unless you, as an engineer, think the "average joe" (or less-than-average) can do it without hurting anyone or burning his house down. We see all kinds on here, and not everyone who will try this should try this, if you know what I mean. I'd suggest a forum on electronics design (or whatever it's called that you just did 🤔) as a more appropriate and appreciative audience for your impressive work. 

Best of luck with your project. Let us know if you have any non-engineer questions about water chemistry or leak repair.😉 

• Haha 1