Please Help! Circulation pump trips gfci

Patrick Em

Hi, I recently got a used Master Spas, Legend Series.

As soon as the hot tub exits priming after turning on it trips the breaker. So I started unplugging stuff. When the circulation pump is unplugged, everything works. All jets work, light, no error codes etc. As soon as I plug the circulation pump into the board it trips.

I ran a test by connecting the circulation pump to a gfci outlet and it runs fine. Didnt trip the outlet gfci.

Before I go and buy a new circulation pump I'd like to know if it's the root of my problem, or could it potentially be the heater (even though it seems to be fine) or even the circuit board itself.

Disconnect everything else from the board like ozone and other pumps so you only have circ pump connected and if it still trips and there is no obvious signs of damage on the board replace the circ pump. Odd that you were able to run it on a different GFCI and not have it trip. 

6 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Disconnect everything else from the board like ozone and other pumps so you only have circ pump connected and if it still trips and there is no obvious signs of damage on the board replace the circ pump. Odd that you were able to run it on a different GFCI and not have it trip. 

It is odd, and that's what's leading me to believe it's the circuit board perhaps and not the pump, but im not sure. I'll try what you said and let you know

After trying what you mentioned and messing with it more I have found out that it doesn't matter what I plug into the circulation pump port on the board it will trip the breaker immediately. Whether it's the circ pump, ozone, or jet 3, the gfci breaker will trip once I plug something into that port. I tried plugging the circ pump into jet 3 and starting it that way, but all it did was make a lot of noise. Didn't trip the breaker and didn't run as smoothly as when I plugged it into a gfci outlet. Any recommendations on next steps? Thanks for the advice!

7 hours ago, Patrick Em said:

Any recommendations on next steps

Yep. Hope you didn't fry your circ pump, assuming it's not already faulted. Also, do not switch around component plugs, you could damage multiple components and maybe even start a fire if you're lucky. 

Check that the white neutral wire from the spa is connected to the white neutral terminal on the GFCI circuit breaker, not the neutral bar. The "pig-tail" on the breaker connects to the neutral bar in the panel/disconnect. Verify all wiring is correct.

The heater and ozonator (or uv/salt cell, if it has either) will not turn on without flow. Disconnect both before the circ. In fact, disconnect the jet pumps and blower, plus any auxilliary components (stereo, etc) before the circ.

The circ pump, from your description, is 120v, while your jet pumps are 240. The controls also use 120v for the transformer, so it's not the only neutral load, but it's a significantly higher load. This could point to a bad breaker if it's not mis-wired. Test it with a 120v load.