Circulation Pump Tripping Breaker

AllieMunro

I recently noticed my HotTub breaker was tripped. Flipped it back on; seen the LCD turn on and shortly thereafter the pumps rans for about 5 seconds and then it tripped again. Tried this a few times, same result. If I unplug the Circulation Pump, it does not trip but then I have errors on the LCD screen "Filter, Pump, Blockage, Air Lock, water". I plugged back in the CP, closed everything up and waited a few days as we had hurricane Fiona come in.

When I turned on the breaker after the hurricane, the hottub ran for at-least a full pump cycle (45 mins). When I came back out an hour or so later it was tripped. I am a bit confused why it trips suddenly and then another time it didn't for at-least an hour. Something might be overheating or perhaps a bad breaker?

I have the Hydropool Self cleaning Hottub, in.xe system. Attaching some photos of the hottub.

Any suggestions are welcome. Maintenance guy was in a bike accident so I am looking at 3 weeks for service. Also is 150$/hr so like to ensure this is not something simple i can handle.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.50.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.49.45 PM.png

adding another photo. I followed the CP wire (green plug) and it leads directly to the pump on the right, which I thought was a Circulation Pump... might be. However, online videos and forums say that the capacitor for the CP is likely the problem. This CP if thats what it is, does not have an accessible Capacitor. Attaching a picture of the label on it.image.png.43eaacfb3085db452f46252dd10d11f8.pngimage.png.43eaacfb3085db452f46252dd10d11f8.png

First remove filters and run without during testing. Take them out of the equation. Next power off remove the panel on the pack that has 6 screws. Disconnect the wires powering the heater on the lower left. Make sure the wires can't touch anything or tape them and give it a try. If it runs replace the heater assembly. If it trips then you are on to the next step and that's the main pump. Reconnect the heater and disconnect pump #1 and try. If it still trips reconnect pump #1 and onto the circ pump. The Laing circ pumps are not service friendly and have a high fail rate due to the amount of 24/7 running time it gets. You can remove the circ and remove the back cover to look for signs of damage like rusted wiring or burnt areas. Remove the face of the pump and you will see the impeller. Give it a spin to see how it rotates and inspect the tiny bearings. It is a magnetic drive and can sometimes have intermittent operation as bearings wear or there is calcium/scale build up. 98% of the time it is replacement if a Laing circ has issues. Finding them can be hit/miss. Made in Hungary and supply chain issues can/do happen. 

12 hours ago, AllieMunro said:

I am a bit confused why it trips suddenly and then another time it didn't for at-least an hour. Something might be overheating or perhaps a bad breaker?

Overheating unlikely.. Bad breaker... anything possible... Open breaker panel and inspect wiring and make sure (power off) that wires are tight as they can loosen over time and if they get loose enough you can get arcing.

As mentioned with the Laing circ pumps you can get intermittent operation as they begin to fail.

Lastly if everything seems to work as it should and you are still tripping there could be issue on the circuit board itself. Remove the pack and open the back so you can see the back of the circuit board and look for burn marks or darkened areas. 

Let us know results.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...