2009 HotSpring Envoy - Protection Mode (Circulation Pump?)

mcw53

I have a 2009 HotSpring Envoy (KK2L2088). Following a power outage, the spa went into protection mode (Ensure filters are clean and unobstructed). I've seen this before; cleaning and rotating the filters usually resolves the problem. Not this time. So I removed the filters and tried again; same result.

What happens is this: About 12 seconds after applying power, the BUS STATUS and LIM OK LEDs turn GREEN. About 1 minute later, I hear the circulation pump attempt to start, but it doesn't. About 30 seconds later, the HTR ON LED turns RED and then clicks off less than a minute later. The spa goes into protection mode with both the power light (blue) and ready light (green) flashing. I've repeated this several times with basically the same results (sometimes only the power light is flashing).

I did some research on this forum ( @RDspaguy and @CanadianSpaTech posts ) and suspect my circulation pump (E5-NSHNNN1_14, Watkins PN 74416) has failed. I removed the pressure switch and installed a jumper on the PS connection and powered up the spa. No protection mode this time, but both the power light (blue) and ready light (green) are flashing. As best I can tell, the circulation pump is not running. The circulation pump output on the IQ2020 board has good voltage (120.5v @ 60Hz). Every thing else appears to be working fine (jets, clean mode, lights) without going into protection mode.

So, is my suspicion of a failed circulation pump correct? If so, are there any recommendations as to where to purchase a new one? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Post photos of the circuit board. I am NOT a Hotsprings guy but one thing you might check is the if you follow the wires that connect to the circuit board to the circ pump on some models just below where the connection to the board is made the wire goes to a fuse just below the board. The circ pump wire from the board goes to the fuse holder is only maybe 2" long. It attaches to the holder and then on the out side of the fuse holder it goes all the way to the circ pump. 

See #11,12 in this photo

74150 I2C Hub 8 Port

If you don't have this fuse and you have power coming off the board then good chance the circ pump has had better days...again I am NOT a Hot Springs guy. 

Thanks @CanadianSpaTech

My board does have the fuse holder as you described (see the 2nd picture). I will check the fuse later this evening or maybe tomorrow morning. Do you have a link to an online manual that would describe servicing the IQ2020? Or maybe just a screenshot of the page that describes replacing the fuse?

Photo04-IQ2020.jpg

Photo11-CircPump.jpg

NOPE. From looking at the photo the fuse might be removed from the backside of the pack. If you have meter test for power off the board... power into the fuse and then power out of the fuse going to the circ. If the power flows all the way through it is likely a pump issue. Let us know results

I had also tested circ white (p23) to both sides of the fuse with the same result. I'm pretty sure there isn't an air lock. I had previously removed the circulation filter standpipe, inserted a hose into the intake (sealed with a towel) and filled until I notice a rise in the water level. I'm fairly confident the circ pump is not running. Wrapping my hand around the circ pump, there is no sensation of movement/vibration and it is cold. This is ~10 minutes after powering up the spa with the pressure switch removed and jumpered. One other thing I have done is test the thermisters. LIMTHERM = 9.45kΩ REGTHERM = 9.20kΩ. Anything else I should test?

If you’ve fully powered down the spa already and reset it via the subpanel breakers and the circ pump does not attempt to turn on despite receiving proper voltage, you need a new pump.

If your pump was air locked and did not successfully purge the air after the 6th attempt, it could be in a dormancy state. If that’s the case, it will power on once the entire spa is powered down and rebooted via the subpanel.

But I’m betting you need a new circ pump if the spa was not recently drained, refilled, and badly air locked.

This is the circulation pump I plan on ordering. It comes with a non-terminated cord, so I plan on leaving the existing cord in place and connecting it to the new pump. That way I won't have to buy and install terminal connectors and it should be a lot easier than removing the old and running the new cord to the IQ2020.

https://www.spadepot.com/Laing-E5-Spa-Circulating-Pump-34-Barb-120V-240V-P2838

E5_Circulation_Pump1.jpg

In addition to replacing the circulation pump, I decided to also replace the ozone system and Moto-Massage jets. The ozone system most likely failed years ago and the MM jets stopped oscillating last year. I was overdue for a water change, so I decided to do all the work with the spa empty. I suspect this made the work a lot easier (at least dryer).

I really had no difficulties. The 13 year old tubing was much more pliable than I imagined it would be. The circulation pump and ozone injector was easy to remove and the new ones sealed nicely without leaks. The most difficult part of the job was feeding the ozone tubing behind the control box and up through the ring next to the topside control panel to create an anti-siphoning loop. Removing and installing the moto-massage jets literally took 10 minutes.

BTW, I did end up buying a crimping tool with an assortment of wire connectors since the circulation pump had non-terminated cords.

So, for a grand total of $638 in parts and an afternoon of enjoyable labor, my spa is running as good as the day it was installed. Anyone have an idea what this job would have cost if I had my local HotSpring certified technician do the job (parts and labor)?

Laing E5 Circulation Pump (74427) $170
Freshwater III Ozone System (72602) $272
Moto-Massage Jets (73542) & Air Manifold (73540) $196

HotTub-1.jpg

HotTub-2.jpg

HotTub-3.jpg

HotTub-4.jpg

HotTub-5.jpg

HotTub-6.jpg

• Like 1