Will I ruin my Pinnacle Spa if I run it with slice valves closed? What will happen?

globalgrl

My dilemma is I am trying to get my beautiful Pinnacle Spa back up and running after 5 years closed down due to my work transferring me unexpectedly.

So both slice valves had cracked and I had them replaced. This was a few months ago and I told the plumber before he closed up the panels to make sure the slice valves were in open position. Now it is hot tub season and I was about to fill up tub. Wanted to check to see that he did open valves but I have several screws stripped on the panels and cannot get them off. One panel is up against a deck and I could not get to it without having tub moved.

I am filling it up now but if I turn it on and the valves are closed, how will I know? Will it ruin it?

Thanks!!

First be sure to fill through the filter hole. If you see water coming out through the round pump suction fittings in the foot well in the first minute of filling there is a good chance the gate valves are open. If you are past that and the spa is full then go ahead and turn it on but only for long enough to see if you get flow. If you do then you are good if you don't then they may either be closed or you have an air lock in the wet end. Basically you just don't want to have it running any longer than you have to if you are not getting flow to minimize risk. It's obviously not ideal to run with the valves closed. I have encountered similar situations and started up a spa without knowing the valves were closed. Good Luck. Let us know results 

• Like 1

My old 1988 CalSpa has two "slice valves" (and I added two ball valves for an external filter), and I've accidentally started it up with valves closed, didn't do any damage.

I personally hate those slice valves...I have even purchased new valves and used the insides in mine, still leaked some internally.

CalSpa Slice Valve.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much! 

I am a bit meticulous and hate that I can't easily get in there and see but everything seems to be working just fine.

Jets are working just fine, amazing after five years. It was covered well but still we live right next to a national forest and all 4 seasons.

Thank you for taking the time.