Replacement parts

loizos

Hi all, What a wonderful, helpful site.

Im learning how chemicals and in particular chlorine destroys everything in its wake.

Im suffering from a non operational Motto massage system on my Hotsprings Grande NXT from around 2016

The jets work but the system does not oscillate up and down.

The Grande has two such system and neither are oscillating.

Ive done all the basics check,  valves check directional systems, run without filters and ive now removed one the motto system.

On examination the jet system does curve and therefore I proceeded to dismantle it to see what part is failing. I’m now of the opinion it’s the blue plastic/rubber tube (within the spine like casing) that has become stiff?

Is this true? If so where can I get a replacement tube? I’m assuming it’s a bit special and not just a garden hose😂😂😂😂

I don’t fancy buying 4 jet units at £120 each😩😩😩😩😩😩

Not fruggle,  just an engineer who hates disposable world we live in. 

All ideas and advice most welcome.

Regards

Loizos

No I don’t believe I  mentioned anything about oval?

Ive since dismantled all four jets from the tub and seen that the blue silicone tubes have fatigued  given way.

Ive found very useful youtube videos that show how you can buy silicone tubing and make your own as Hot Springs ( Watkins) will not sell you just the tube!!! Funny that😂😂😂😂😂

I will preserver  and keep you posted. If anyone has done the above and succeeded please comment. 

Regards

Loizos 

The @ username is a tag. it alerts that user that someone mentioned them so they will see the post.

There is a recent post on the Hot Springs Moto-Massage that has some troubleshooting steps and links. For some reason I can't link the thread due to some site security rules. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, cranbiz said:

Actually the question was for @ratchett as he has fixed the Motomassage unit on his tub. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the tag @cranbiz

Actually my 2019 Hotspring's motomassager are still going strong.  I'm just an obsessed engineering geek who loves to study how things work including these awesome jets.  I tend to "soak" up irrelevant knowledge randomly - especially when I find it interesting.  In this case the interesting part was the choice of silicone tubing which is totally non-standard.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, cranbiz said:

Can you advise? I believe you mentioned that it's not a normal round hose but an oval one.

You are correct - I can't find my source anymore - but there is an image of the silicone tubing utilized by Hotspring in the construction of their motomassager jets - it looks like either oval shaped, or they shaved down the walls on 2-sides of the silicone tubing to give it two flat sides (and rounded on the other two sides).  I'll try to keep digging to see if I can find that photo of the OEM silicone tubing.

Some people have dis-assembled and rebuilt the jets using regular standard round tubing, however it's not a 100% perfect fit.  And given the price for replacement jets and their lifespan (10+ years with proper water chemistry), it's more of a hassle than it's worth to rebuild these jets.

I've even seen a few people who tried to rebuild their Motomassager jets only to fail and destroy the jet in the process because they kept tinkering trying to fit the silicone properly.

On 8/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, loizos said:

Im suffering from a non operational Motto massage system on my Hotsprings Grande NXT from around 2016

The jets work but the system does not oscillate up and down.

The Motomassager jets are a "consumable" product.  They will wear out over time and eventually stop moving all together (the cause is due to water pressure seeping out through worn/broken tubing) - lifespan depends HEAVILY on water chemistry - excessive chlorine use for example or low pH will cause the jets to fail sooner.   

Basically there's a tear or break in the tubing which opens slowly over time - first it starts as a small hole which slows down the oscillation speed of the jets.  Eventually over time the jets stop moving all together - they "feel" like they have full pressure, but they actually aren't - because some of the water is escaping through a failed section of silicone tubing.

On 8/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, loizos said:

Is this true? If so where can I get a replacement tube? I’m assuming it’s a bit special and not just a garden hose😂😂😂😂

I don’t fancy buying 4 jet units at £120 each😩😩😩😩😩😩

Not fruggle,  just an engineer who hates disposable world we live in. 

Yes it's true some people have rebuilt the jets to get them working again.  Unfortunately the exact silicone tubing utilized in construction of these jets is not available commercially from any of the suppliers I've researched (including McMaster) - you can follow the videos online and you *might* get lucky and the jets will move up and down partially.

However I have never once seen any feedback from anyone who's done the repair and follow up with longevity to confirm how long they lasted - you might do all this work and only get 6-12 months before the jets fail again.

My vote:  replace the Motomassager jets in the seats you use most for now, and replace the other ones later so they will wear out at different times.    Watch your water chemistry and you should get 10+ years out of those jets before they need replacement. 

As a fellow engineer, there are some battles worth fighting.  Personally, rebuilding motomassager jets to save $100 per seat isn't worth my time especially since it's not a guarantee you'll be successful.  Time is money after all - my time is worth more than tinkering on something which isn't guaranteed to work.

Thanks for the message.

Your summary is very true our time is worth a lot more but it’s what we do as you said we get infatuated with it. 

Mine failed after 5 years which Is not great but the chemistry could be the reason as the kids yo yo the chemistry every time they forget to monitor it .

Ive ordered some food grade Silicone tubing I will try it and will report back. 

• Like 1

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45177-moto-massage-question-for-hs-gurus/#comment-173862

@CanadianSpaTech
There shouldn't be any security issues with posting links. Please send us a dm and let us know what you're seeing. We definitely want our users to be able to crosslink helpful posts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webmaster said:

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45177-moto-massage-question-for-hs-gurus/#comment-173862

@CanadianSpaTech
There shouldn't be any security issues with posting links. Please send us a dm and let us know what you're seeing. We definitely want our users to be able to crosslink helpful posts.

I've had this issue as well when trying to post links to other posts in the forum as well, I'll try to send you a link with a screenshot next time I see one

Great article from Randy.

Mune is. is fitted and I will test it tomorrow.

Ive only just read the importance of the flat sides of the HS tubes.

I will try mine and see. If they do not move up and down I will file them and re try. 

Thanks to everyone for their input. 

Great forum.