Chlorine levels

Grib

I have a new oasis rx170s hot tub. Issue I have chlorine level needs daily top up I'm 5 days in and used around 6caps of chlorine. I also need top up the pH up almost everyday I live in a soft to medium water area any advise welcome. Maybe it's a daily top up rqd I was told from suppliers chlorine needed once per week. The hot tub has built in insonater

Incorrect PH levels will not allow the chlorine to preform it’s duty… 

adjust ph correctly first 

if your still having to add chlorine in as much as you are do a phosphate test and or TDS… as high TDS or phosphate can wreak havoc on spa and pools as it can also eat chlorine or not have it do it’s job. 

if the above is ok it quite possibly just needs a super shock… 

On 7/29/2022 at 4:28 AM, Grib said:

The hot tub has built in insonater

I assume you're talking about an ozonator.  Does the tub have a circulation pump to keep water flowing 24/7?

Ozone burns off organic contaminants through oxidation (like shock) but is such a strong oxidizer that it even reacts with chlorine. This means you can chlorine shock after use and not have to soak in a bleach bath the next day, because the ozone will burn off most all of the chloramines and most of the chlorine overnight.  Ozone does not build up in the water and is most effective when paired with a circulation pump for continuous injection.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:28 AM, Grib said:

I have a new oasis rx170s hot tub.

New tubs are *filthy* from factory assembly/testing.  Water chemistry is a nightmare on the first fill while everything pH balances internally.  Think of it like rolling down the windows to air out a new car for the first few weeks.  Regardless the brand of tub, it's suggested to perform a purge/drain/refill after the first 4-8 weeks.  Water chemistry is always much easier after a the first refill.

• Like 1

I use the tub daily for an hour. I test pH and chlorene after use I get both to correct levels but next day both are way down. It could be the ozonator is Is breaking down chlorene and pH ill do more research as to how ozonator reacts with chlorene and pH. Thanks for the input. I was told to get an i care water monitor but these are around 500pounds.ill update as soon as I have more info. Thanks for all input 

On 7/31/2022 at 2:23 PM, Grib said:

I test pH and chlorene after use I get both to correct levels but next day both are way down. It could be the ozonator is Is breaking down chlorene and pH ill do more research as to how ozonator reacts with chlorene and pH.

First, adjusting pH takes time to fully balance throughout the water.  I personally test pH once a month - and only in the morning before using the tub, when the water has been sitting for hours (with only the circulation pump keeping water moving around).  

Second - it's a new tub.  The glues used in construction are acidic and pull pH down for the first 6-8+ weeks while things pH neutralize internally. I too noticed the same thing (except as a spa geek doing my research, I was expecting it) - I had to constantly boost my pH every few weeks for the first few months.

Fast forward a few months (and a refill later), no more problems with pH/TA - much easier to maintain.

Thanks for info I'm finding pH level are a lot better now and general alkalinity is OK. So has to be the ozonator pulling the chlorene level down so I let ozonator do its job and add chlorene twice a week. The ozonator alone cleans the water ok

• 3 months later...

On a pool forum there is a detailed description of how to lower the alkalinity of water.  The key is aeration, bubbling or sort of spraying the pool water to break the surface.   The alkalinity will go down but the pH goes up.  Add acid to balance it and repeat over days ... in a big pool ...   

I have used this procedure on our pool but with our recent addition of a hot tub I have noticed the same cycle of alkalinity going down and pH going up..   Then I realized that maybe I was aerating too much unintentionally.  If your air jets are left on when not using the pool it is a wonderful aeration system.   So maybe getting the pH in balance and stabile will be easier if we make sure the jets are closed when we leave the tub.