Union Leak

Meganc

Hello, we have a Vita spa that has developed a leak. It started small where I thought it was condensation from the cover, however over the week it’s gotten larger.  We we were able to locate it and know the leak is coming from the pump union, however we can’t tighten the union at all or loosen it. Some of the videos we watched indicate their might not even be a o ring or seal of any type inside, so if that were the case why would it be leaking and what do I do to fix it?

0645A357-C3E8-49E9-A8C9-FFC24F5325AD.jpeg

ED1DFBE2-6180-4E8A-A40A-F90DC163BF20.jpeg

7FBF9CF6-8A36-4E20-B3DA-EAA03309AA2D.jpeg

Power off and close the gate valves that are just before and after the pump. Because I do this every day I use an oil filter wrench to tighten and loosen pump unions. If you don't have one you can use a flat head screwdriver and a small hammer or something that you can use to tap the back end of the screwdriver. You will see knubs that go around the female part of the union. Use the flat head screwdriver up against the knub and gently tapping to tighten or loosen the union. It likely just need a few taps to tighten it up and stop the drip. If that doesn't work back it off all the way and check/replace the o-ring.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, Meganc said:

Thank you! We tried with a wrench strap and had no luck, but it’s also at a weird angle because the leak is of course on the one side it’s tucked up against the deck. Will pick up a oil filter wrench and try that. 

Congrats you were able to get the pump union loose.  I too have the same problem.  I have to replace a dripping Gate Valve and have tried everything.  Two different wrenches as shown here.  It's the weird angle and no room to grip the wrench.  Also no room for the screwdriver / hammer method.  I can reach all the other unions in the tub except this one, but the exit pump union, can not get a grip on the pump union.  I was thinking of trying cutting, drumell tool, hack saw, but don't want to damage threads on the pump, since I will need to tighten the new ring.....but can't get angle to tighten.....

Did you replace the O-ring and fix the leak?