First Time Hot Tub Owner - First Day - 2 issues :(

MattNJ

After YEARS of my wife begging me to get a hot tub I finally caved. I got a 2019 Sundance Bristol 780. After getting everything all setup and having the electrician run the panel, I ran the tub for about 5 hours to get the temp up.

Issue #1

After 5 hours the tub turned off and I got a SN--2 “WATER SENSOR ERROR”. Tried a bunch of trouble shooting that I found online, nothing worked and now I have a "Watchdog call for service" warning.

Issue #2

One of the troubleshooting ideas was the "burp" the tub by opening the drain valve hose. I did that, let the water drain for a little and then closed it back up. However, now the water is leaking under the cap on the drain hose. Even though it is tightened all the way.

Any of you Hot Tub Gurus have any tips or guidance for either issue above?

Thanks,

Matt

14 minutes ago, MattNJ said:

I got a 2019 Sundance Bristol 780.

Was it used? Did you buy it from a dealer or from the classifieds?  Was it fully functional when you saw it, or was it disconnected/drained when you bought it?

15 minutes ago, MattNJ said:

After 5 hours the tub turned off and I got a SN--2 “WATER SENSOR ERROR”. Tried a bunch of trouble shooting that I found online, nothing worked and now I have a "Watchdog call for service" warning.

Temperature sensors are a safety feature.  They are a common point of failure and easy to diagnose/replace.

15 minutes ago, MattNJ said:

One of the troubleshooting ideas was the "burp" the tub by opening the drain valve hose. I did that, let the water drain for a little and then closed it back up. However, now the water is leaking under the cap on the drain hose. Even though it is tightened all the way.

Might have loosened the nut too much and caused a seal to come loose.  But releasing an air-lock is beneficial for a pressure flow-switch sensor issue, not a temperature sensor issue.

I'm no expert, but if the seal has been damaged or misaligned, you might need to drain the spa and reposition/replace the seal then re-assemble. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ratchett said:

Was it used? Did you buy it from a dealer or from the classifieds?  Was it fully functional when you saw it, or was it disconnected/drained when you bought it?

Temperature sensors are a safety feature.  They are a common point of failure and easy to diagnose/replace.

Might have loosened the nut too much and caused a seal to come loose.  But releasing an air-lock is beneficial for a pressure flow-switch sensor issue, not a temperature sensor issue.

I'm no expert, but if the seal has been damaged or misaligned, you might need to drain the spa and reposition/replace the seal then re-assemble. 

It was used, and in the persons garage not hooked up to power.

You sure that is the temperature sensor? I am not the most handy person, any links to where they show people replacing them that you can recommend?

I am not sure what you mean by seal and replace/reposition it. The drain is a single hose with a screw cap on it.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE!

Matt

Gotta love the internet. 🙄

I assume you have turned it off for 30 seconds and reset, and this result is consistent?

Your video is unavailable. Post a pic of the drain valve, equipment area, wiring diagram, and circuit board. Opening the drain does not "burp" the circulation system.

As mentioned, an air lock would cause other errors, flo to be exact, not SN2 or watchdog. SN2 is specifically a sensor fault, and it THINKS it's the hgh-limit sensor (it only has one thing to compare it to, so it's not always right). Watchdog is almost always sensor or power related, and is essentially the computer shrugging it's shoulders and saying "you figure it out".

I always recommend replacing both sensors at the same time, so figuring out which one is bad is not really necessary. If you have an ohm meter you can test them if you like, but 99% it's a sensor.

• Like 1