Spa cover replacement

So I think it's time to replace my spa cover. The cover is one that the previous owners used when before we moved in 2.5y ago (the spa itself is 20+ years old, not sure about the cover). Although snow doesn't melt on top which makes me think the insulation properties are still quite good, the upholstery is in rough shape with some rips along the middle fold which I have duct taped, and the skirt is very brittle and ripped up. Looking into replacement covers, I didn't realize they were so pricy ($550-650 CND).

If taken care of properly, what is the typical lifespan of one of these covers. The spa is in full sunlight and exposed to typically Canadian winters. Is there an option of reupholstering the insulation foam from the current cover? What should I be looking out for or avoiding when buying a new cover? Thanks!

Yes, spa covers are expensive, I'm due for a new cover myself.  I have a 1988 CalSpa, and am on at least my 4th cover.  My spa sits on my covered patio in Arizona, obviously gets no snow and very little rain; however the "winter" sun does hit on the cover.

Theoretically, if the styrafoam slabs are not waterlogged, a cover could be made to fit; but you'd obviously be talking about a local company, unless you know upholstery....

DSC07531.JPG

DSC07811.JPG

DSC07812.JPG

Thanks. Do these online custom sized order companies typically do a good job and use high quality materials when they make their covers? Or should I look locally for a brick and mortar company that will make a cover for me?

Also how do you typically measure size of the cover. My current cover seems to fit quite well should I go by that size? Will a new cover shrink a bit over time?

Here in Canada average lifespan is 3-5 years. Longer if they are taken care of with uv protectant. In my area there are a multitude of online sellers but in reality there are only 2 or 3 cover manufacturers and a large percentage (including me) buy from the same MFG. They also produce for a large number of OEM's. Most will offer Standard, Better and Best options at different price points. The "Best" option I offer includes upgrades to 8mil Vapor Barrier, Overlap at center skirt, full end to end foam seal a 2 rubber handles. Recommend 5"-4" taper. Prices have increased dramatically and lead times are 10 weeks out. Standard cover 2mil vapor barrier, 2 end sealing pads

10 hours ago, Krulligo said:

Cool Thanks. I am also in the GTA area. You say you sell spa covers? Do you have a website?

No website. Just sell locally to existing customers. I am in the Milton area. Where are you located and what brand and model of spa?

13 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

No website. Just sell locally to existing customers. I am in the Milton area. Where are you located and what brand and model of spa?

Unfortunately on the other side - Pickering area. My Spa is an old year 2000 Sundance Altamar. The size of the current cover is 81" x 86.5" and thickness tapers from 5 to 3" inches. We purchased the house 2.5 years ago and this is the cover that was on the spa but based on age of the spa, probably not the original cover.

If I order these same dimensions, will the cover shrink slightly over time?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pretty good experience with getting a new cover from a place in Florida.  Could recommend them if that's OK here.  Here is a picture of my 2004 Altamar with the new cover.  I made the mistake of not properly specifying where the straps should be but I came up with a workaround.  And yes, I'm still working on staining the outside of it properly.

IMG_0113.JPG