Break trips when press the “jets” button in my tiger river spa.

Hello, hopefully someone can help. I bought a house with a tiger river spa. The previous owner said that all it needed was a new program board. I got the new program board and had it installed. After installing it The technician noticed water leaking from the water heater. I just got the new water heater and installed it today. Now I’m very new to the spa world. I fill up the spa and Cut the spa on and when I press the “jets” button it the “30 and the “20” both trip on the breaker box and the spa turns off all together. Any advice? The new program box came with a different control panel but the technician said that it didn’t need to be changed. Could that have something to do with it? Also the heater isn’t getting hot to touch, I’m not sure if it’s supossed to. 

Post up the wiring diagram that should be on the inside of the cover. For some reason, I don't think it's wired right, but I'm not sure.

Unplug the heater and the pumps, see if it still trips the breakers. If not, then start plugging things back in one at a time until you find out which one is tripping the breakers. The fact that it's tripping both to me indicated a possible wiring problem as for a Watkins tub, the 30A breaker is for the heater and the 20A is for everything else.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:43 AM, RDspaguy said:

The white wire from the heater.

The wiring diagram is on the box cover.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:28 AM, cranbiz said:

Post up the wiring diagram that should be on the inside of the cover. For some reason, I don't think it's wired right, but I'm not sure.

Unplug the heater and the pumps, see if it still trips the breakers. If not, then start plugging things back in one at a time until you find out which one is tripping the breakers. The fact that it's tripping both to me indicated a possible wiring problem as for a Watkins tub, the 30A breaker is for the heater and the 20A is for everything else.

Hello, The new heater relay pcb is different from the diagram on your lid. Look for the labels just under the spring connectors. Heater leads are labeled H1 and H2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Black Diamond said:

Hello, The new heater relay pcb is different from the diagram on your lid. Look for the labels just under the spring connectors. Heater leads are labeled H1 and H2.

3 hours ago, Black Diamond said:

Ok I will do that. “Heater 1” and “heater 2” thank you 

On 6/29/2022 at 10:02 AM, Black Diamond said:

Ok so I’ve disconnect the h2 wire from where I had it originally. After attempting to start it now when I press the button to turn on the jets only the 30 amp circuit breaker trips. I’m making progress but I’m not there yet. Any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, the mighty Q said:

Ok so I’ve disconnect the h2 wire from where I had it originally. After attempting to start it now when I press the button to turn on the jets only the 30 amp circuit breaker trips. I’m making progress but I’m not there yet. Any suggestions?

The breaker only trips on the 30 but the spa remains on still.  

Yeah, wire it ALL correctly!

As near as I can tell from your pic, from left to right, main terminal block:

1) 30 amp L1 (black)

H1) Heater (black)

2) 20 amp L1 (black)

3) 30 amp L2 (I think red on yours but can't see clearly enough to be sure)

4) Empty, with jumper to 5

5) 20 amp neutral (white)

Then the terminal on the left all by itself.

H2) Heater (white)

And the ground lug on the right gets BOTH bare copper grounds, one of which has been cut off too short to reach.

The jumpers slip in at the top of the terminal block. I don't see any on the new board, so you may need to get the one from the old board.

All terminals are labelled, but they are blocked by the wires. 

The wiring diagram is easy to find with a google search if you lost the one that came with the board.

1 hour ago, RDspaguy said:

Yeah, wire it ALL correctly!

As near as I can tell from your pic, from left to right, main terminal block:

1) 30 amp L1 (black)

H1) Heater (black)

2) 20 amp L1 (black)

3) 30 amp L2 (I think red on yours but can't see clearly enough to be sure)

4) Empty, with jumper to 5

5) 20 amp neutral (white)

Then the terminal on the left all by itself.

H2) Heater (white)

And the ground lug on the right gets BOTH bare copper grounds, one of which has been cut off too short to reach.

The jumpers slip in at the top of the terminal block. I don't see any on the new board, so you may need to get the one from the old board.

All terminals are labelled, but they are blocked by the wires. 

The wiring diagram is easy to find with a google search if you lost the one that came with the board.

Ok Great thanks I’ll look on google.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:18 AM, RDspaguy said:

Not wire correctly. There is nothing in H2, and the heater common is on the main terminal block. Wire it right and let us know.

I did what you said and I got the jets to turn on and not trip but now the heater isn’t heating the water. Then jets are turning on strong and blowing well but the water isn’t coming out of the jets hot at all. It’s just blowing the cold water. Hears a pic of the board now. Let me know if you have any suggestions. thank you. 

3C141CAB-AE17-4FA0-A8BA-838E0E2C10AD.jpeg

It looks like your circ pump is also mis-wired. The circ pump is the second cord from the right, the first with no plug, and the black wire is plugged in to the blower circuit. This should connect to the fuse holder below it. I'd check that fuse and replace if needed, do not bypass it as it protects the board from damage. It unscrews from the back, push and 1/4 turn as I recall.

It won't heat if the circ is not running. The jet pump does not connect to the heater, and always only circulates the water, the circ pump does, and returns in the footwell. You'll see the bubbles when it starts.

I also notice your pressure switch terminal is open. This needs a wire to the pressure switch or a jumper.

Post pic of equipment area and upper right part of the board so the labels are readable.

Track the small gray cables to where they go. Two will go to the thermistors, which are screwed in at the top of the heater, and one to the heater box or circ pump. That last one is the pressure switch.

In re-reading your first post I noticed you said "program board". That's not a thing, so I dismissed it and moved on, but the small board you replaced is a relay or auxiliary board, and the big one is the main or mother board. I hope you replaced the right one. All this mis-wiring suggests another issue, and an inexperienced tech.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

55 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

I also notice your pressure switch terminal is open. This needs a wire to the pressure switch or a jumper.

Post pic of equipment area and upper right part of the board so the labels are readable.

Track the small gray cables to where they go. Two will go to the thermistors, which are screwed in at the top of the heater, and one to the heater box or circ pump. That last one is the pressure switch.

In re-reading your first post I noticed you said "program board". That's not a thing, so I dismissed it and moved on, but the small board you replaced is a relay or auxiliary board, and the big one is the main or mother board. I hope you replaced the right one. All this mis-wiring suggests another issue, and an inexperienced tech.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Lol yes very inexperienced. Just bought my first home and the jacuzzi came with. Lol