Cleaning corrosion off of heater?

6010fd12

It's not corrosion, it's scale, aka hard water deposits, caused by calcium. In water, it is the result of high ph, and on surfaces the result of evaporation, which means a small leak. Acid will dissolve it, but can damage the heater element. If you have good flow through it, just watch your ph and let it go. If it's clogged, get a new one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

It's not corrosion, it's scale, aka hard water deposits, caused by calcium. In water, it is the result of high ph, and on surfaces the result of evaporation, which means a small leak. Acid will dissolve it, but can damage the heater element. If you have good flow through it, just watch your ph and let it go. If it's clogged, get a new one.

I agree that there's been or still has a leak, and that calcium carbonate has deposited from the water.  Vinegar-soaked rags would be my choice to try to remove the deposit, but the leak still may need addressing.

1 hour ago, Cusser said:

I agree that there's been or still has a leak, and that calcium carbonate has deposited from the water.  Vinegar-soaked rags would be my choice to try to remove the deposit, but the leak still may need addressing.

Is there a rebuild kit I can purchase for this heater? 

Edit: Found it. However the reviews mentioned that a small leak did persist after replacing them but I'm going to give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPHF49G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.spadepot.com/gasket-Kit-4-Watkins-Hot-Spring-Double-Barrel-Heater-P3111