Hot Tub Springs Tub self empties

Hotub112

Hi 

Have a Hot Tub springs Hot tub ( not sure of make) 

Got it serviced over winter - before then no issues whatsoever in the 7years we have owned it ( from new) 

We used it 3 times max afterwards and then randomly one night it sounded like "water sucking" or the pump trying to work with no water. 

Upon inspection the filterhousing was "empty" and upon futhur inspection i saw the water level had dropped below the top jets. 

I refilled it to cover the jets and then it ran smoothly until 24hrs later or so the water level dropped again. 

We decided to turn it off at the mains until we could get it looked it. Then in the following month it drained COMPLETELY. leaving only 6 inches of water in the bottom. 

We couldnt see any mass levels of water outside so its a slow leak. 

Any ideas? Been quoted £700 for a new pump that i dont think needs to be done if it still drained whilst off. 

Thank you! 

You have a leak somewhere. Pumps can leak even when they are off. There are 2 main seals in the pump that can go, one is for the cap one is for the shaft. They are quite easy fixes and you don't to get a new pump for this.

You said that the tub drains faster when the pump is running? If you have multiple pumps, figure out which one causes it. Might be a pump issue or in there piping. Just open the sides of your tub and see where the water is and inspect around the pumps when they are running. 

I had a similar situation where water would only go down when one pump was running. Turns out one of the tubes split on the pressure side of the pump. So when the pump was not running level was not really going down but pump running made the split gush out water (due to the increased water pressure). Was easy to locate and an easy DIY fix to replace that section of the plumbing, think it cost me $30 worth of parts and glue to fix.

If not the pump or the plumbing could be a leak in one of the fittings. Where the water stopped going down (you said down to 6 inches) are there any fittings like suction ports, jets, lights, etc where the waterline stopped. If so there is a good chance your leak is somewhere at those fittings. 

20 hours ago, Hotub112 said:

Hi 

Have a Hot Tub springs Hot tub ( not sure of make) 

Got it serviced over winter - before then no issues whatsoever in the 7years we have owned it ( from new) 

We used it 3 times max afterwards and then randomly one night it sounded like "water sucking" or the pump trying to work with no water. 

Upon inspection the filterhousing was "empty" and upon futhur inspection i saw the water level had dropped below the top jets. 

I refilled it to cover the jets and then it ran smoothly until 24hrs later or so the water level dropped again. 

We decided to turn it off at the mains until we could get it looked it. Then in the following month it drained COMPLETELY. leaving only 6 inches of water in the bottom. 

We couldnt see any mass levels of water outside so its a slow leak. 

Any ideas? Been quoted £700 for a new pump that i dont think needs to be done if it still drained whilst off. 

Thank you! 

Can you show us a photo of the spa?  We might be able to identify the model.  Does it have motomassager jets (the ones which move up and down)?

That generation of Hotspring highlife tubs are well known to develop a leak via a cracked/failed nipple on the drain line on the bottom of the motomassager unit.  If you remove the front panel of those jets and use a flashlight you might be able to even see a crack on the drain nipple connection at the base of the Motomassager. 

If you can't see a crack in that nipple from inside the spa, I'd try filling with some water and checking to see if that corner of the spa is wet on the ground (or test to see if the foam insulation behind the cabinet wall is soggy/wet). 

If the nipple is broken, the correct fix is to dig out the old foam, remove and glue in a new nipple then re-connect the drain line and fill with spray foam.  Some people go the very cheap route and simply plug the drain line (drain/dry out the tub, the insert plug with sealant to stop the leak) - but the proper way to do it is replace the nipple (if that's the source of the leak).