Arctic Spa Topside failure - or board? Or both?!

I’d love any help working through a puzzle. My 2006 Arctic spa began having trouble when the topside buttons stopped working. The filter cycle would still run ok. But now that isn’t happening - but the spa light is staying on. I unplugged the topside control from the board and plugged it into a port for an optional auxiliary topside. This gets pump #1 running on top speed when the power is turned back on. This runs for 20 mins or so, but the normal cycles do not follow.

I would just buy another topside control, but I don’t want to risk a new one if the control board is bad. 

Any advice? If I need to replace both topside and the board, any advice on a cost-effective option? It’s a gecko system in there now, but I’m assuming I could make a change if i replace the bird and the topside at the same time. Any advice valued! Thank you!