Stuck Hotsprings Grandee diverter valve

yohab

Hello.  My diverter valve turns and turns without changing the flow of water.  It needs to be replaced.  I have removed the handle, the cover, the collar, and the C-ring.  However, I cannot get the diverter valve out with plyers.  It is stuck.  Any tips on getting it out?

• 1 month later...

Hi Yohab,

I was looking for posts on this topic as I had the same issue. It was impossible to remove by just trying to pull it up. I had a new valve assembly so I drilled a large hole (carefully!) in the one on the tub (the white nylon top piece) and managed to lift one side slightly with long nosed pliers and break the seal. I could then force the white collar off and remove the whole valve.

The problem I had fitting the new valve it that it is so damn tight the o-ring bulged out one side and I was left with pretty much the same issue. Make sure you push down the valve assembly and the white nylon top piece in an absolutely level position i.e. not one side then the other.

I imagine you have fixed yours by know and if so I would be interested to know how please.

Cheers, Keith

On 6/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, yohab said:

Hello.  My diverter valve turns and turns without changing the flow of water.  It needs to be replaced.  I have removed the handle, the cover, the collar, and the C-ring.  However, I cannot get the diverter valve out with plyers.  It is stuck.  Any tips on getting it out?

Push what’s left of the core down into the diverter body so you can access and remove the large o-ring which is what’s causing the core to be so tight coming out. Once the o-ring is gone the core will pull out easily. In extreme cases I have drilled two holes towards the center of the core since it’s getting thrown out anyways, and pried with a screwdriver back and forth to slowly work the core out.

Option 1 is best, easiest, and almost always works. Use a flashlight to see what you’re doing. You probably already figured it out but this might help others.

On 8/7/2022 at 1:25 AM, Keith01 said:

Hi Yohab,

I was looking for posts on this topic as I had the same issue. It was impossible to remove by just trying to pull it up. I had a new valve assembly so I drilled a large hole (carefully!) in the one on the tub (the white nylon top piece) and managed to lift one side slightly with long nosed pliers and break the seal. I could then force the white collar off and remove the whole valve.

The problem I had fitting the new valve it that it is so damn tight the o-ring bulged out one side and I was left with pretty much the same issue. Make sure you push down the valve assembly and the white nylon top piece in an absolutely level position i.e. not one side then the other.

I imagine you have fixed yours by know and if so I would be interested to know how please.

Cheers, Keith

You need to use silicone grease to install a new core kit.

To help push the core in evenly and not kink the large o-ring out of position, remove a filter cap and use it as a pushing surface. It fits PERFECTLY into the top of the white nylon cap. I’ve done this thousands of times.

Lol this site won’t let me post so quickly back to back. Not my fault I’m fast, doesn’t mean I’m a bot. K, can I post now? Haha