I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to test a circuit board.

I have a 1997 Hot Springs Prodigy (Model H) by Watkins Manufacturing. About six years ago, the circulation pump stopped working. I don't remember if the jet pump continued working. I'm debating whether to remove and test the two pumps, which I suspect are easy to test but inconvenient to remove or test the circuit board, which is easy to remove but I suspect more challenging to test.

I'm very interested to know your thoughts on the best way to approach this.

I would also greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to test the circuit board.

Thanks for putting yourself out there to answer questions like these.

Sincerely,

JoeyTwoShoes

Hi there, I would get a copy of the schematic, and then locate your circulation and jet pump connections at the board that go out to the pumps.  Unplug the circ pump connector. Ensure the spa thinks the circulation pump is running, then check for voltage at the pins for the circ pump (at the circuit board plug in).  You should see 120 or 240 volts depending on the spec of the motor.   If there's voltage present, its likely a bad pump or the wiring to the pump. If you dont see voltage, it could be a bad relay on the control board, an onboard fuse, or bad traces on the board.

Repeat this for the jet pump if its not working. Note that if its not working,  the tub controller will likely detect this when heating, and throw a low flow error. So I'm not sure if this test will work for you in this case, but worth a try.  Hoping some of the folks who have this type of spa or who work on them sees your post and is able to help more.

• Thanks 1

Do you have a multi meter and knowledge of how to use it safely? Disconnect the pumps from the board and test for power coming off the board when the pump indicator light it on. You are basically going to have to follow the power from where it first connects to the spa and follow the path of where it goes next. Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover if there is one so we can see what you have and how it is wired.

At the back end of each pump there should be a quarter sized dust cover that can be removed and you will see the shaft of the motor with a slot in it where you can insert a flat head screwdriver to turn the shaft. Shaft should turn freely. If it won't turn then the pump could be seized.