Power Flo lx sp1580z2 Replacement, please help!

Sephz

I need to figure out an acceptable replacement pump for my Hayward Power Flo LX from the early 90s. I’ve spoken too Hayward, PDC spas (the maker of my hot tub) and several local Pool & Spa businesses and no one can give me a straight answer…

The problem is that my Hayward Power Flo LX is a 2hp / 230volt model, and seems to have been a very rarely used pump even 30 years ago. It would be great if I could find this exact pump to replace my busted one…but if thats not possible I need to fid a suitable replacement. Picture of the pump label attached

Would a replacement just have to be the same voltage (230 volt) horse power, and rpm? Or are there other considerations?

Can anyone give me any advice or point me to pump that will work in it’s stead? I would really appreciate the help, I’ve really been struggling to figure this out. Thanks very much.

B7D0F446-092A-4EE8-BB4D-C88E661BFDEA.jpeg

18 hours ago, Sephz said:

I need to figure out an acceptable replacement pump for my Hayward Power Flo LX from the early 90s. I’ve spoken too Hayward.....and no one can give me a straight answer…

SO SAD that Hayward cannot help; I'd call them back and try to talk to someone older than 40 years old....

Is the electric motor bad, or just the pump seal leaking?

Typically, my go to place has been Doheny's

Hayward Power flo Manual130.pdf Hayward Power Flo SP1500 series.pdf

56 minutes ago, Cusser said:

SO SAD that Hayward cannot help; I'd call them back and try to talk to someone older than 40 years old....

Is the electric motor bad, or just the pump seal leaking?

Typically, my go to place has been Doheny's

Hayward Power flo Manual130.pdfUnavailable Hayward Power Flo SP1500 series.pdfUnavailable

Yea, when I called Hayward the girl was young and clearly just an operator at a call center with zero knowledge. The pump WAS working, but leaking at the seal which I found out is common. So I changed the seal, but when I put it back together the pump started smoking and electricity was arcing. Now I can’t confidently use the pump. 

Well, you really need the pump fitting to match your spa, to minimize install "modifications".  I have replaced the pump seal on my own spa (a 1988 CalSpa) just once which also has a Hayward Power Flo pump.

What about just getting a replacement electric motor that will bolt in to your pump?  You have an A.O. Smith electric motor.

Any local pool pump rebuilders in your area, there are several in the city I live in??

1 hour ago, Cusser said:

Well, you really need the pump fitting to match your spa, to minimize install "modifications".  I have replaced the pump seal on my own spa (a 1988 CalSpa) just once which also has a Hayward Power Flo pump.

What about just getting a replacement electric motor that will bolt in to your pump?  You have an A.O. Smith electric motor.

Any local pool pump rebuilders in your area, there are several in the city I live in??

That's what I gave the OP, an A.O. Smith motor that really came very close to the specs on the original pump motor.

• 6 months later...