Aftermarket replacement ozonator?

I have a 2013 Jetsetter that I purchased used and want to preform some maintenance on it. Part of the fitting that connect to the ozonator broke off when I tried to remove it and now is the perfect time for me to replace it. However, I don't really want to pay ~$300 for a direct replacement Freshwater III Ozone System if I can avoid it. I doubt there is a cheaper listing than the $258 that amazon has it listed for so my question is:

Is there a cheap aftermarket replacement ozone system that is compatible with my model? 

The Freshwater III Ozone system produces a higher output of ozone (more ppm), it's also built to handle a 3+ year lifespan running continuously with your jetsetter's circulation pump.

Many aftermarket ozonators have a lower ozone output and built to work with the standard mid-grade hot tub which runs the ozonator twice a day for an hour or two with the filter cycle (NOT running 24/7).  So they have a shorter lifespan in hour count, but since it's only running for 2-4 hours a day, it lasts a while.

Yes there are cheaper ozonators on the market, but they will likely burn out in half the time so are you really saving all that much?

If it were me, I would spend the money on the Freshwater III system but I'm also a huge fan of ozonators in a hot tub -  because ozone burns off organic contaminants through oxidation and is such a strong oxidizer that it reacts with excess free chlorine. This means you can chlorine shock after use and not have to soak in bleach the next day, because the ozone will burn off the chloramines and most of the chlorine overnight.

Also note - I believe the Freshwater III ozone kit includes a replacement mazzei injector valve (the item which actually sucks the air and ozone into the water as it passes through the injector part) - be sure to replace that part even if yours looks perfectly fine - they are known to leak over time so they should be replaced at the same time as the ozonator module itself.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ratchett said:

The Freshwater III Ozone system produces a higher output of ozone (more ppm), it's also built to handle a 3+ year lifespan running continuously with your jetsetter's circulation pump.

Many aftermarket ozonators have a lower ozone output and built to work with the standard mid-grade hot tub which runs the ozonator twice a day for an hour or two with the filter cycle (NOT running 24/7).  So they have a shorter lifespan in hour count, but since it's only running for 2-4 hours a day, it lasts a while.

Yes there are cheaper ozonators on the market, but they will likely burn out in half the time so are you really saving all that much?

If it were me, I would spend the money on the Freshwater III system but I'm also a huge fan of ozonators in a hot tub -  because ozone burns off organic contaminants through oxidation and is such a strong oxidizer that it reacts with excess free chlorine. This means you can chlorine shock after use and not have to soak in bleach the next day, because the ozone will burn off the chloramines and most of the chlorine overnight.

Also note - I believe the Freshwater III ozone kit includes a replacement mazzei injector valve (the item which actually sucks the air and ozone into the water as it passes through the injector part) - be sure to replace that part even if yours looks perfectly fine - they are known to leak over time so they should be replaced at the same time as the ozonator module itself.

Gotcha. I was just trying to go aftermarket to save a little on cost but I guess there is no way around that. Do you know what the cheapest place to buy a Freshwater III system would be? Trying to find the best deal. Either way I have to replace it since the nozzle broke off when I was trying to remove the tube from it. 

20211102_181116.jpg.f5dbc548edaa5e3510d40b85872e0e35.jpg

20211102_181811.jpg.3eb5c6204ad4362f1eb92c5f34411f84.jpg

17 hours ago, 6010fd12 said:

I was just trying to go aftermarket to save a little on cost but I guess there is no way around that. Do you know what the cheapest place to buy a Freshwater III system would be? Trying to find the best deal.

Yeah like I said you can go with a cheaper ozonator, but it will last half as long as the Freshwater III ozonator.  So you're robbing peter to pay paul, and in the end you'll spend more and waste more time fiddling with it in the end.  Up to you if you want to spend more now, or go with an aftermarket system and replace it in the near future when more funds are available.

That said, search around online for Hotspring PN 72602 - that's the ozonator kit with the injector.  I see one on ebay right now for $189 - new open box supposedly, but who knows if that's actually a new unit (you'll need to look at the pictures and take a chance if you want).

17 hours ago, 6010fd12 said:

Either way I have to replace it since the nozzle broke off when I was trying to remove the tube from it. 

Now we're out of my pay-grade lol, I'm just a spa geek with too much time on their hands.

Maybe @RDspaguy or @CanadianSpaTech can offer advice how to swap out that elbow joint and what replacement part it'd be.   But I'm sure it's not difficult

On 6/14/2022 at 3:43 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Thank you. I just found this cheaper one that says it fits the serial number of my tub

https://backyardplus.com/parts/72727-byp-elbow-3-4in-x-3-4in-barbed-with-1-4in-barbed-nipple/

On 6/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, ratchett said:

That said, search around online for Hotspring PN 72602 - that's the ozonator kit with the injector. I see one on ebay right now for $189 - new open box supposedly, but who knows if that's actually a new unit (you'll need to look at the pictures and take a chance if you want).

As luck may have it, I just recently got time to inspect the spa to figure out all the items and parts that I need to replace and while I was looking for a jumper wireto convert from 220v to 110v) in the bag of supplies the previous owner of the tub gave to me I found a brand new ozonator! I guess the previous owner know about it going out and purchased a new one but never got around to installing it. It looks brand new but I haven't tried out if it works or not. Could be a dud. Not getting my hopes up just yet 😁

I do have another question though. What exactly is this wire? It's in the suction side of the tub. The wire is cut at both ends. Maybe it was an led light? Zone 2 is missing on the board so that's the only thing I can think of.

20220618_222025.jpg

20220618_150413.jpg

16556591056628671195980630989663.jpg

16556591406853251536301514830099.jpg