Indoor “in ground” hot tub replacement

Sephz

We just bought a home back in March, and it has a indoor hot tub room with a dated hot tub, but it’s imbedded in a beautiful custom tile inclosure. 

the old hot tub has some issues, it’s a pdc spa from the late 80s / early 90s. I’ve been trying to get it up and running but it’s 1 step forward & 2 steps back. 

id like to explore replacing the existing hot tub with a new model, but insert it into the same space. The hot tub is 80” x 80” at the outside edge. where would I start looking for a replacement hot tub like that? Everything I’ve seen online seems like free standing hot tubs, I want one that will fit into my existing space. I’d be comfortable installing and setting it up myself, I just need to find the right hot tub. Any direction would be appreciated 

EF2D2DD1-3ADF-47AE-9385-1B24163552E9.jpeg

Nice setup, but hate to say it's going to be impossible to find something to fit that space as nicely.  Also that tub is very likely a portable hardshell tub which was submerged into that vault (there's still possibly a spa's wood cabinet under the tile work.

I'm personally not a fan of spas in vaults because tubs need to be accessed from behind the shell to fix leaks and whatnot - I have a friend who's dad built an entire room around a spa sunk into the back patio in the 80's.   Apparently the shell cracked a few years later and because the room was built AROUND the hot tub, there was literally no way to remove the tub or even get it out of the vault with a crane (they'd have to remove entire walls of windows to make space to get a spa in or out of the room in one piece).  Instead they built a new hardwood floor over top of the Spa.  Legend has it that vintage spa is still sitting in it's crypt to this day (I'd love to pull it out and refurb it because it was likely a top-tier model from that era.

If I were in your shoes, I'd likely partially gut that room, tear out the steps, and then have a freestanding portable hardshell spa installed in the middle of the room.

That said, if you really want to try replacing the tub, check out the SpaVault by Bullfrog - no guarantees it will fit but this is the best option for people who *must* have a sunk-in hot tub - https://www.bullfrogspas.com/spavault/

• Like 1