Question regarding Frog@Ease inline bromine cartridge

Please bear with me as I'm new to learning all of my horrible errors with my hot tub.

After learning about all of the problems a dichlor system creates as well as the benefits of bromine, I want to switch my tub over to bromine. It uses the frog@ease inline cartridge system and uses ozone as well (at least that's what I was briefly told). It's my understanding that the cartridge will not create a bromide reserve until some time later. But I could be wrong. Can anyone provide me some guidance on this? I've gone over the pinned bromine threads repeatedly but I'm still afraid that I will do something wrong.

Frog@ease is a chlorine system that uses a special type of chlorine in the cartridge. SpaFrog is their bromine system. Both use silver (the mineral cartridge) as a secondary, slow acting sanitizer that, in theory, allows a lower chlorine or bromine level but, IMHO, the primary (chlorine or bromine) fast acting sanitizer/oxidizer can easily be depleted by a large bather load. Remember, every person that enters the spa adds fecal matter (and bacterial enteric pathogens, urine, and sweat (chemically almost identical to urine) no mater how clean they think they are. IMHO, 3 step bromine or dichlor/beach are the way to go.

• Like 1

Hi DesertDorkus, You have a great question. You can safely switch to bromine anytime, but once your hot tub is on a bromine sanitizing solution, you can’t switch back to a chlorine sanitizing solution without draining and refilling with fresh water.  Even though you can switch over to bromine now, we recommend you take this opportunity to drain your hot tub, refill with fresh water, purge, balance and then add the FROG Serene (bromine) cartridges at that time.  If you refill with fresh water, please be sure to follow the setup instructions included in the system kit and add a new Serene Mineral Cartridge (blue cartridge), along with a Jump Start packet to make sure the bromine is activated and your water is ready to go. We hope this helps! If you have any questions, we’d love to answer them, please call us at 800-222-0169 or email us a customer.service@kingtechnology.com We hope you try FROG Serene – we know you’ll love it!

On 5/17/2022 at 8:02 AM, waterbear said:

Frog@ease is a chlorine system that uses a special type of chlorine in the cartridge. SpaFrog is their bromine system. Both use silver (the mineral cartridge) as a secondary, slow acting sanitizer that, in theory, allows a lower chlorine or bromine level but, IMHO, the primary (chlorine or bromine) fast acting sanitizer/oxidizer can easily be depleted by a large bather load. Remember, every person that enters the spa adds fecal matter (and bacterial enteric pathogens, urine, and sweat (chemically almost identical to urine) no mater how clean they think they are. IMHO, 3 step bromine or dichlor/beach are the way to go.

I really, really wish that I could use the three step bromine but I was 1000 times more clueless when I purchased my tub than I am now (that is scary) but the problem with the inline frog cartridge tubs is that you can't use a floater. It has a very open filter chamber and the floater gets caught in it over and over again. Ugh.