What would you do?

Would you put money into an 12 year old Amore Bay (Dimension One) or would you trade in and buy an entry-level 220? Budget is top of mind. We don't need 60 jets and a millions pumps. We want a simple decent quality tub...no bells and whistles (to break). What would you do?

Thanks!

Industry average is 7-14 years on a hot tub (you can get longer with proper care/maintenance, but that seems to be pretty much the average these days from what I've gathered).    Dimension One makes a quality tub, but they aren't the easiest to service from what I have heard.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look into a mid-grade tub from either Nordic or Marquis (depending on which local dealer you like more) - Nordic offers a good bang for the buck by skipping on the bells/whistles.  And then I would take photos of your current hot tub and list it in the local classifieds (Facebook, Craigslist, etc).  Assuming your tub holds water and works, you could get a few thousand for the tub (maybe $3000 to $5000), and if it's not in working condition you might get less - if it's priced right, it will sell within days on the classifieds.

Assuming you can sell your existing tub to *someone*, that would free up cash to buy something nicer than a budget entry-level hot tub

2 hours ago, ratchett said:

Industry average is 7-14 years on a hot tub (you can get longer with proper care/maintenance, but that seems to be pretty much the average these days from what I've gathered). 

I'm not letting my 1988 CalSpa read this !!!

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, Cusser said:

I'm not letting my 1988 CalSpa read this !!!

Yeah old pressure treated lumber made before 2002 contained arsenic - it's far less susceptible to rot/infestation.

Modern PT lumber is infused with copper which helps but not quite as good as the old arsenic treated lumber.  

That's why many top brands are moving away from wood in their flagship spas - my 2019 Hotspring Highlife has an ABS basepan, composite cabinet panels, and tool-grade (polycarbonate?) framing.  Literally no wood used in the entire spa from what I can see