Jump to content

Manifold Leak Looking for Repair Process


Recommended Posts

Got a 15-20 year old tub and just went out to find a leak underneath. It's coming from the manifold and it looks to be at the 1.5" outlet. I am in central CA so no freezing temps. It was dark when I found the leak so I can't tell if the manifold cracked or it's at the glue joint.

Anyway, see the attached photos. Is the repair to cut the entire manifold set out and replace? Looks like 18 1/2" hoses. Pretty annoying! I'm guessing even if the manifold isn't cracked there's no way to repair that glue seam outside of some butcher job with JB weld.

PXL_20220506_024022517.jpg

PXL_20220506_030358425.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First get the blower out of the way so you have room to work. No way of knowing how far the that hose goes into the manifold but I might try and cut the incoming line about an inch before the manifold and then make a cut or slice in the remaining piece up to the manifold. Then use a heat gun to warm it up. Using a pair of plyers/vice grips I would grab the slice on one side and try to roll/twist the soft plumbing inward and try to break the glue seal and remove it from the manifold. Then clean it up and re glue back in the hole. 

Another option might be to use Devcon 2 part plastic weld epoxy or similar product and lay a good bead around it. This type of product works great at  bonding rigid pvc but with soft plumbing involved it should work and I have done it successfully in the past but no guarantee. Rough up the soft plumbing with some sandpaper just a tiny bit so it can grab. The epoxy has a fairly short working time so you have to work rather quickly. As it dries it will get to a point where you can touch it and not get it stuck on your fingers but yet still pliable enough that you can form it tight to the soft plumbing and hope for the best. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Alright finally getting back on this project. The leak was actually coming from two of the 1/2" hoses not the 1" outlet. I tried using the 2 part plastic weld on them but just couldn't get around the back to get a good seal and it didn't stop the leaking. Then tried cutting the hose and cleaning up the inside of the 1/2" manifold port with a dremel to try and glue in new hose but the angle was too steep and ended up going through the outside wall with the dremel.

 

So it looks like we have arrived at Plan C which is replacing the entire manifold. Fun! Here is what I have for parts.

 

This reducer will go from the 1" hose to the manifolds.

https://hottubspasource.com/products/2-x-1-inch-pvc-reducer-bushing?variant=13650171232302

These are the three manifolds that will be glued together

https://hottubspasource.com/collections/hot-tub-pvc-manifolds/products/2-inch-x-six-1-2-inch-pvc-manifold

To glue the manifolds together would you use an "inside pipe connector" like this one or just a piece of flex?

https://www.spadepot.com/Pipe-Inside-Connector-2-P10200C730.aspx

 

Then for all the 1/2" hoses I think I'll glue an 8-12" section into each manifold then cut the hoses back and use a coupler to join them together.

 

My order would be:

Glue manifolds together. Glue reducer on. Glue all 1/2" extensions into manifold. Cut old manifold out. Glue and spin on new manifold. Cut and glue 1/2" hoses starting with back side working to front side.

 

Does that sound like good order of operations/repair procedure? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd get 3/4" barb manifolds and 3/4" clear tubing, which will go over the 1/2" pipe and is much more flexible. Also, hose clamps mean if you mess one up you can fix it without starting over.

Old flex hose loses it's flex and trying to move it can break fittings at the other end. Make sure you cut it back enough to get the hose on without trouble. A few extra feet of hose is much cheaper than 1 jet.

Make sure you get that old pipe clean before primer/glue. 

An "inside" fitting fits inside pipe, not fittings. Use a piece of pipe to connect the fittings.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Alright! Well that was a job. My original plan was to glue and clamp the clear tubing but when I glued up the 2" side of the manifold I wasn't 100% sure of the job. The angle was funny and I couldn't get the hose to bottom out in the manifold. So I went with just clamps on the clear in case we get a drip and have to redo it.

 

Thanks for your guys help so far! I'm sure this would have been a $500 job going to a pro so even if I have to redo it I'm only out $150 in parts right now and the next time will go a lot smoother. Fingers crossed though.

 

She's currently filling up and everything is watertight so far with just standing water. I'm gonna get it circulating once we fill up and see how it goes.

PXL_20220717_190747458.jpg

PXL_20220717_224744154.jpg

PXL_20220717_224734891.jpg

PXL_20220717_190729517.jpg

PXL_20220717_190736777.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick update. Got it filled and it was leaking from some of the jets. I thought I was doomed and would have to replace 3 jets. Got the wrench out and tightened the nuts on them all about 1/2 turn and drips stopped! It's been running for about an hour and no leaks so far! Fingers double crossed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...