On or Off ?

Wends

Hi bare with me as this is my first post and not sure what category to use but here goes.

We live in Spain. We have just had solar panels installed. Our hot tub is fine and dandy but obviously at night the sun does not shine and we have to rely on the grid but we get huge peaks of power consumption through the night which we are pointing the finger at the tub for. My question is......as we live in a warm climate would it be ok to turn off the tub at night so only heating it when the solar is working? The temp wouldn't drop much overnight I doubt with the cover firmly on.

Just trying to save some cash here lol Thankyou all in advance.

One concern I see, is the tub requires regular filter cycles (mine is set to 2 cycles of 2 hours each day).  So if you were to shut down your tub for say 12 hours each day, you would be losing those filter cycles that would run at night.  Not sure of your tub model, but you could increase the filter duration to make up for the lost cycles at night.  I'm not 100% sure you need to do this, but definitely needs to be considered.

How do you plan to turn the tub on and off each day?  If you plan to do so with the breaker, that's not recommended. The daily switching on and off will eventually wear out the breaker.

You could source a timer that will cut power to the tub at certain times of the day - this would get wired in-between the panel and the tub.  Or you could look into whether you can upgrade your tub to get remote access to the controls using an app on your phone. 

5 hours ago, Couch67 said:

One concern I see, is the tub requires regular filter cycles (mine is set to 2 cycles of 2 hours each day).  So if you were to shut down your tub for say 12 hours each day, you would be losing those filter cycles that would run at night.  Not sure of your tub model, but you could increase the filter duration to make up for the lost cycles at night.  I'm not 100% sure you need to do this, but definitely needs to be considered.

How do you plan to turn the tub on and off each day?  If you plan to do so with the breaker, that's not recommended. The daily switching on and off will eventually wear out the breaker.

You could source a timer that will cut power to the tub at certain times of the day - this would get wired in-between the panel and the tub.  Or you could look into whether you can upgrade your tub to get remote access to the controls using an app on your phone. 

Hi. Our filter cycles are 8am and 8pm none through the night as such. We already tried turning the temp down when not using but still getting high spikes of electric usage after sun down. So no point in doing that. Looks like may just have to swallow cost albeit less than it was before hopefully. Thankyou for taking the time to reply.