Hot Tub / Spa Chemicals

Walsh

Hello Everyone,

looking for some insight on chemicals used for hot tubs in other countries.. 

I am located in Canada and our primary chemicals used for hot tub is chlorine or bromine based..

is there none who has used and continues to use natural only enzyme “chemicals” without chlorine or bromine?

spa marvel (50$/ bottle 3 months) is also something that is starting to be used a lot more.. it works the same a aquafinesse (200$ / bottle 3 months) also used in Canada but a cheaper version although here in Canada requires us to use chlorine or bromine in conjunction with these products! 

let me know what you use successfully and what you have tried and failed! 

Thank You! 

I haven’t heard of any other sanitizers to use in the U.S. We started with bromine and ended up switching to chlorine - it works better in our vacation rental.

What about chemicals for pH & calcium and alkalinity? Don’t you use those? 

Amazon has the Aquafinesse water care kit for $150 and says it’s Dichlor , which is a form of chlorine. 

They have a 16 oz SpaMarvel for $57. It’s an enzyme that , when used , it says will lower the amount of chlorine you need . 

None of those miracle in a bottle are true sanitizers. Stick to sanitizers and if you feel you need a supplement, use Aqua Clarity from the makers or Ahhsome. It's claim to fame is that it also helps remove the biosolids that will cause you to use more sanitizer and keeps your pipes clean.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, Susanj said:

I haven’t heard of any other sanitizers to use in the U.S. We started with bromine and ended up switching to chlorine - it works better in our vacation rental.

What about chemicals for pH & calcium and alkalinity? Don’t you use those? 

Amazon has the Aquafinesse water care kit for $150 and says it’s Dichlor , which is a form of chlorine. 

They have a 16 oz SpaMarvel for $57. It’s an enzyme that , when used , it says will lower the amount of chlorine you need . 

Amazing thanks for your response! Will need ph and ta chemicals as well jsut starting with the basics first! 

I have been in a tub with aquafinesse the tub definitely does NOT smell like chlorine when using this product but my skin tells me that the chlorine is there! .. attempting to stay away from or have the least amount of chlorine possible..

Looking at using Bromine and Spa Marvel.. Not positive that spa marvel can be used with bromine or only chlorine like aquafinesse!? 

yes and completely agree that you need a good sanitizer.. I am just attempting to keep it at the lowest levels possible and see what other countries use!.. 

Auafinesse is a product produced and used in the netherlands as I understand.. But is is meant to be used with chlorine..

I am going to try using Bromine.. 

Hopefully I can use just bromine and have no reaction and I will be good to go!

Chlorine has a reaction with my skin!