What temp do you leave your hot tub at?

89sandman

We are first time tub owners but have had pools for almost 30 years. What I'm wondering is when you are finished using it for the day do you leave it on the temp you want to use it at while not in use or do you turn it down a certain amount and then turm it back up a hour or two before you want to use it again. Our tub is a Sundance Marin 880 5 person. It heated the water from 56 to 100 in about 5-6 hours. 

Think of it like driving a car - do you get better gas mileage driving down the highway with or without cruise control activated?

When your spa is well insulated internally (which as a sundance 800 series, is well insulated), and with the cover closed - the heater is only activating in short bursts to maintain the set water temperature.  When you increase temperature, the heater must remain on until the tub reaches desired temp - this consumes a substantial amount of electricity and takes time to heat up.   With how well your spa is insulated, the electrical running cost difference between turning down the temp and leaving it at set temp is negligible - less than a dollar or two per month.

In the winter, I crank my tub up to 104/105 so I can enjoy a nice hot soak on the rare night where it actually chilly in my subtropical climate.   In the spring/fall I run around 101F, and in the summer I set it to 99F so it's just a smidge warmer than body temp.

Set desired temp and use economy mode. Program filter cycle to run an hour before you normally use the spa. It will then have time to reheat if there has been any heat loss during the time between filter cycles before you use it.

11.1 Standard Mode (Factory Default) Standard mode is typically selected by customers in cold climates where heat up times are extended due to lower ambient temperatures. In this mode, water temperature is regulated by the set temperature which activates the heater automatically as needed.

11.2 Economy Mode Economy mode is typically selected by customers in warm climates where heat up times are minimized due to higher ambient temperatures. In this mode, the water temperature is regulated by the set temperature only when a programmed filter cycle is running, unless in summer logic (page 47).

11.3 Selecting Standard or Economy Mode Press the MODE button to select either “Standard” or “Economy” mode. The control panel’s indicator on the right side of the LCD changes to indicate which mode is selected.

I've had my CalSpa since 1988.  In the old days, we didn't heat it in summer, used it as our "swimming pool", the kids loved it.  In fact, being in Arizona, we left the cover off overnight one night a week to allow the water to cool, the ambient temperature heated the water so much.

Maybe 15 years ago, the electric company changed away from the "time of day/demand" rate where one would be surcharged for the highest single hour demand in that month; so I started leaving the spa at 104F full time on the temperature setting control, and was surprised how few minutes per day the heat/pump actually came on.  Now in summer I keep same temperature and just have filter run 2 hours a day.

Since I use a leak seal product to seal an inaccessible leak, I don't like to let temperatures vary too much.

• 1 month later...

What I have found works best for us is to shut it off when we go to bed at night. It is located outside our bedroom and listening to it "hum" when it runs is annoying. Right now we are running it at 98 and it's at 95 when we get in at about 7pm which is perfect for us, we like the water to warm up as we are in it. Maybe someday I will take the time to program it as suggested above but until then this is working perfectly for us. Once it gets about 90 outside we will shut the temp off for the rest of the summer, not a fan of sweating in the water :) Temps run between 90-105ish from July-September here and sometimes later.