JETSETTER Acting up

I have a JETSETTER Model JJ, S/N JJ4P5154, that seems possesed.

I think (hope) it is the topside controller, as I have a spare, just need to locate it.

My current one is cycling the jets on and off, temp up to 111°, display flips 180° from tub view to outside view.
In doing research, I see some mentions of needing to update S/W when changing out the topside controller.
Does anyone know anything about this, where to get S/W updates and how to install?

Thanks, Bill

UPDATE: Just used the tub, temp says 107°, floater says 111°, like it hot, always set at 106° but heater was running past that. I know it is not 111°, been in the 'lobster pot' at a local hot spring, it is 113°.

I am guessing at a set temp, that is when it cycles (high limit switch)?

Can not lower the temp, that and other buttons have stopped working?

Shut it off for the night, will just fire up for use until I dig up the other topside.

Thoughts?

Please clearly describe what it is doing. I'm not sure I understand.

What is an S/W?

An actual overheat, not just a sensor saying it's overheated, is usually a stuck relay. This can cause the pump to run automated responses that you cannot control. It may also lock out the controller buttons.

Post pics of the circuit board and wiring diagram.

6 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

I doubt software would do this, but am not 100% sure. If it was just wired it could be miswired as well.

@castletonia, thoughts?

The S/W question was in regard to swapping out the topside controller, been fine since 2013 when new.

Except for the prior switch problem, poor design, allowing water into the topside controller, heard about this so that is why I have a spare.

8 hours ago, billrigsby said:

The S/W question was in regard to swapping out the topside controller, been fine since 2013 when new.

Except for the prior switch problem, poor design, allowing water into the topside controller, heard about this so that is why I have a spare.

Are you certain you have a matching set of topside controller and main control board?  I'm a little hazy on the details, but right around 2012/2013 Watkins/Hotspring had a problem where the manufacturer of the original control boards (Orca - 76082) went out of business and Watkins had to rebuild a new control board (Orca 78039) to replace it.

From what I gather, the new Hotspring control board, sensors, and topside controller are not cross-compatible.   This was a fiasco for Watkins/Hotspring as a lot of owners didn't want to spend the $1500+ to upgrade their spa pack on a tub just out of warranty when something went wrong.    By this point most of the old stock has been bought up from online dealers, and hottub junkyards are picked over for these old parts frequently making them very hard to find.

Depending when your tub was manufactured, you might have the older control board and that might be why the sensors and topside controller aren't working correctly.

I'm not a Hotspring technician, so I could be completely wrong, but I believe the age of the tub makes it a possibility.

New topside controller fixed the issues.

All buttons work, etc.

Still need to replace the old one, but have the new one pugged in set temp to 104° overnight and all good. Came home and upped it to 106° and it topped out at 107/108° (as it has since new).

Not sure about the programming that was supposed to be needed, all was good / plug' n 'play. Possibly for the audio function. The old topside under OPTIONS had audio (which I never used), new topside does not. no harm/no foul.

Happy!

• Like 1